× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ultra6 not booting

M1ke_a
Tutor

Ultra6 not booting

Hi all

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 brought 2011
6 x 2TB Seagate disks
Can't remember OS, version 4.something

Have been using my ultra 6 for back ups and Squeezebox for 10+ years without any probs. Attached UPS warned of battery failure so I ordered replacements (this is the third UPS battery replacement since 2016). When I went to shut down the NAS there were a number of errors in the GUI so I selected the 'check on reboot options'

**Steps taken so far**

Shutdown to replace UPS batteries
Saw disks errors on GUI so selected option to check disks on restart
Installed new UPS batteries
Restart - Fans Start,can hear Disks Spin Up (FSDSU) but no boot, only ReadyNAS displays on front panel
Numerous restarts - nothing FSDSU
Can't ping the device and doesn't appear in RAIDAR
Removed disks 1 at a time and then another restart - nothing FSDSU
Tried OS reinstall from https://kb.netgear.com/21107/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Ultra-6-Ultra-6-Plus-Pro-6...
- nothing FSDSU
Tried USB Recovery from https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool?article=30267 - nothing FSDSU
Labelled all 6 disks and removed them
OS reinstall restart. Device booted and gave option to reinstall OS but failed as no disks present
Reinstalled disks and tried again - nothing FSDSU
Removed all drives and installed ONE old spare disk
Restarted and it went into boot options. Selected OS reinstall - Err: could not mount root RAID d
Reinstalled original 6 disks and tried 2 other USB keys with no luck

Any ideas please?

I really don't want to reformat the whole lot but I do want/need more storage. I'm not sure it's worth persevering with this NAS as I believe it will need an 'unsupported' OS update. Do I cut my losses and look at another NAS and start again?

Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like either your USB recovery didn't work (they are finicky about the USB drive you use) or the flash memory is bad (so can't be repaired with the USB recovery).  Does the NAS appear in RAIDar in any of those situations (especially with no drives installed)?

Message 2 of 4
M1ke_a
Tutor

Thanks Sandshark. I tried three different keys but might have 1 or 2 more I could try.

NAS is now directly plugged into my home router on my desk (damn the fan is loud!)

Router still can't see it and RAIDAR hasn't found anything.

Popped all the disks out and currently running memory test. 1 pass without probs so far. Did I see a cancel checkdisk option and would they make any difference?

Message 3 of 4
M1ke_a
Tutor

OK so methodically checking and removing one disk at a time, I've established that disk 5 is the culprit. As soon as I removed it, the NAS booted and RAIDAR and the web console both say the unit is OK. Clearly the OS doesn't like a broken disk

Now need to source another 2TB disk and urgently look at alternate backup options.  Not sure investing in larger disks and trying an OS upgrade is going to be wise? 

A QNAP or Synology is going to bring new hardware to the table so anyone fancy giving me Pros and cons of my options?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements