× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Delete Files

BH9244
Aspirant

Unable to Delete Files

Greetings, I have a RN214 unit configured in RAID5 with 4 2TB Drives, the unit is down to about 25MB of free space and I seem to be unable to delete files off of it to free up space.

When I select a file to delete, it doesn't return a error however if I check back no additional space appears and the file selected for deletion remains.

I'm guessing the extremely low amount of free space has created some sort of problem, but would appreciate any guidance as to how I might resolve.

Thanks

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to Delete Files

What firmware are you running?

Have you looked in the log zip file for any clues (e.g, errors)?

If you haven't backed up the NAS, I suggest that you do that.  One option is to destroy the current volume, create a new one, and then restore data from the backup.

Message 2 of 7
BH9244
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

What firmware are you running?

Have you looked in the log zip file for any clues (e.g, errors)?

If you haven't backed up the NAS, I suggest that you do that.  One option is to destroy the current volume, create a new one, and then restore data from the backup.

Running 6.9.5

Message 3 of 7
BH9244
Aspirant

Ok I checked the log and there's a recent entry that says  "the volume encountered a error and was made read-only" so I guess that answers the inability to delete files, can that attribute be reset to read/write ?

Message 4 of 7
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hey @BH9244 

The errors are like because the filesystem would not like being so full. You always gotta leave a bit of wriggle room for transactions on the filesystem, etc.

I can take a look at the logs if you like. Download them and attach to Google link or similar and PM me the link.

I will agree with @StephenB here. Definitely time to do a backup if you don't have one already.

Cheers

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@BH9244 wrote:

Ok I checked the log and there's a recent entry that says  "the volume encountered a error and was made read-only" so I guess that answers the inability to delete files, can that attribute be reset to read/write ?

It was set read-only in order to prevent further damage to the file system..

The safest way to proceed is to back up the data, and recreate the volume.

Message 6 of 7
BH9244
Aspirant

Ok, in process now. Thanks for the help won't cut so close in the future.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements