× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access - declined on windows explorer RN104

Cazzbags
Aspirant

Unable to access - declined on windows explorer RN104

I had my readyNAS shares set up as mapped network drives in windows explorer, but I can't access them all of a sudden. I can view the shares on the cloud.

I tried to view the admin page but couldn'g get into that. I have found out that the readyNAS IP address has changed by using Raidar. Have now been able to access the admin page. I've tried to search the forum about how to update settings to account for IP change in case that's what the problem is. I've deleted the mapped network drives. I've since tried to map them again but it still says the password is incorrect. I've changed the passwords and reset them and still no access via Windows explorer. I've reset permissions in networks. I can't get into the shares when trying to remap them as it just says access denied.

I need help setting it up as nothing I do is working... I have phone support enabled but for some reason the form to submit to even raise a case isn't working online and I just want to speak to someone to get them to help!

Anyone else able to enlighten me what could be wrong here?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to access - declined on windows explorer RN104

I'd open the Windows Credential manager - then delete any credentials for the old IP address, and create a new one for the new IP address and perhaps a new one for the hostname.

Also, I suggest checking your router for a setting that will let you reserve the IP address for your NAS.  Netgear routers call this "address reservation", it is also sometimes called "Mac address reservation" or "ARP binding".  If you post a link to your router user manual, we can help look for that feature.

See if you can map a share using the windows CMD prompt.

net use * /delete
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:username userpassword

using the real ip address, sharename, username, and userpassword of course.  Be care on the slash directions and the spaces.

Message 2 of 4
Cazzbags
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out the IP of my computer was also showing up as different to when I had set it up as well as the IP of the NAS being different. So it wasn't allowing access. I managed to add the new IP to the host list for each share... I still wasn't getting access to some of them so had to set anonymous access too. Can get in now but only with those relaxed settings. Will play with it more soon.

One of the shares was still working despite the new computer IP not being listed as a host. Not sure why that one was allowing access when the others weren't.

On the similar matter- Is there a way to have settings for the shares set the same without doing them all individually? This whole issue was complicated by not being able to view the settings for each at the same time to know why one was working but the others weren't.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Cazzbags wrote:
 I managed to add the new IP to the host list for each share... 

Personally I don't use the host list  - I don't see any real security benefit, and (as you found) it will create issues with DHCP.  Thx for following up with that info, as I hadn't considered the host list as a possible cause.

@Cazzbags wrote:

On the similar matter- Is there a way to have settings for the shares set the same without doing them all individually? This whole issue was complicated by not being able to view the settings for each at the same time to know why one was working but the others weren't.

There isn't a way to do that, and it would be convenient if there were.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements