× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to change county on Netgear profile, preventing ordering of ProSupport for Home

Paul_P
Tutor

Unable to change county on Netgear profile, preventing ordering of ProSupport for Home

FAO Netgear Support,

I purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS 526 NAS in 2017, which has been working fine until recently when I some of my shares disappeared after a firmware upgrade (they are no longer visible on from network clients, and are no longer shown in the web admin interface, but the disk utilization indicates that the data is still present).

I've read the community support posts on this topic (e.g.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-104-Shares-not-visible-dis...) and and it appears that I need Netgear expert assistance to resolve this issue. As my 90 support warranty has expired, I need to register and pay for ProSupport for Home.

However when I tried to order this service on 24 May from the Netgear website I got an error message "New plan does not have a rate schedule with a currency matching the account's currency."

I think this error is occuring because the country on my profile is incorrect. It currently says United States (which uses US Dollars)  but it should be United Kingdom (which uses British Pounds Sterling). I've tried to edit my profile, but it won't let me change my country, so could you please change the county on my profile from US to UK please? 

I also tried to submit support email ticket on 24 May, but this also appears to have failed (the confirmation message on the screen contained a blank reference number and a blank email address!). 

Thanks in advance,

Paul P. 

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Unable to change county on Netgear profile, preventing ordering of ProSupport for Home

The script is here.   Before you run it, you should verify via SSH that the shares are actually still there and the OS partition is not full or nearly so.  Making a backup would also be a good idea, but that can be a bit of a pain from SSH.  I didn't write it, but I have studied it.  It seems pretty bullet proof -- it may not fix the problem but should do no harm unless the OS partition is full.  Even then, it will likely just fail and do no harm, but I wouldn't count on it.

The script verifies that the shares are actual BTRSFS subvolumes (which yours must be since they once worked) and re-writes the "special sauce" files for the shares to be seen by the GUI as well as some configurations (like SMB).  After running it, you should reboot,  Then, go reset the share permissions to be what you want,

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Paul_P,

We will check on this one. Just to be sure, can you send me via private message the email that you are using for your myNETGEAR account?

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Paul_P,

The country on your profile is now corrected to UK. Please check if you can now purchase the support contract.

Regards,

Message 3 of 11
Paul_P
Tutor

Hi John,

I've logged out of www.netgear.com and logged back in again. I then went to My Account -> My Products, selected the NAS from the list, and then clicked 'Purchase Service Contract' button. 

The next page then shows me two options, a 1-year service contract, and a 3-year service contract, both priced in British Pounds Sterling, which is correct so far. However, when I select the one year contract, and click 'Submit' button, this takes me to the Checkout page to complete my address and credit card details, but it is now showing the price in US dollars (NB: the figures are the same, but GBP symbol £ has changed to USD symbol $).

When I try to save my billing address (in the UK), I get the same error message as before "New plan does not have a rate schedule with a currency matching the account's currency." So I can't proceed any further.

If I go back and view my profile, it is still showing my address as being in US not UK which is still wrong. So, does the change take some time to propagate or is it instantaneous? Or does something else on my account need to be changed (e.g. related to currency)?

Best regards,

Paul

Message 4 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Paul_P,

We will check on this one again. I will provide you an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you comfortable with SSH and the Linux command shell?  If so, there is a script that you can run that may fix your problem.  I don't have a link to it handy, but one of the mods can provide it.

Message 6 of 11
Paul_P
Tutor

Hi @Sandshark,

I would be able to enable SSH and run a Linux script on my NAS. So if someone is able to send me the relevant Linux script I would appreciate it.

Best regards,

Paul

Message 7 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Paul,

Can you also provide me via private message the S/N of the NAS on which you are trying to purchase the support contract?

Also regarding the issue on your NAS, are the users able to see the shares via file explorer? Are you just not able to see it on the web admin page?

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

The script is here.   Before you run it, you should verify via SSH that the shares are actually still there and the OS partition is not full or nearly so.  Making a backup would also be a good idea, but that can be a bit of a pain from SSH.  I didn't write it, but I have studied it.  It seems pretty bullet proof -- it may not fix the problem but should do no harm unless the OS partition is full.  Even then, it will likely just fail and do no harm, but I wouldn't count on it.

The script verifies that the shares are actual BTRSFS subvolumes (which yours must be since they once worked) and re-writes the "special sauce" files for the shares to be seen by the GUI as well as some configurations (like SMB).  After running it, you should reboot,  Then, go reset the share permissions to be what you want,

Message 9 of 11
Paul_P
Tutor

Hi @Sandshark, @JohnCM_S,

I ordered another 4TB external drive from Amazon, so I could backup all of the data on the RN526X before running the Linux script as root via SSH.

Howvever, I am pleased to be able to confirm that the script you referenced worked flawlessly. This restored the shares, which I was then able to view in the Netgear admin login webpage, and manually reapply the user permissions settings for each share. I can now view these shares via my home network from my Mac via SMB. I really appreciate your help, and I'm relieved all of my data is safe. I will be performing regular backups of the NAS (and storing the backup drive somewhere other than my home).

I am curious about what caused the loss of the share configuration  information? I assume that when I originally created the shares, this information was saved in a Linux system configuration file, and the file parsed (i.e. opened read-only) on each system reboot. If so, what would cause the data in this configuration file to be lost/deleted given that I never made any further changes to the volumes? Could this be a side-effect of a NAS firmware upgrade or a powercut? Is there anything I can do to minimise the possibility of this occuring again?

Thanks again,

Paul

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Glad to hear all is nopw well.

If your OS partition isn't too full, then it's a bit of a mystery hoiw it happened.  But the script exists because there have been other reports of this occurring.  I don't know if Netgear is doing any investigation as to root cause.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements