× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to install apps from the available app list anymore with OS 6.10.8

tigerten
Luminary

Unable to install apps from the available app list anymore with OS 6.10.8

Have any of you noticed that it is not possible to install apps from the available app list with OS 6.10.8 anymore? not even the linux-kernel-plus. It is strange. I clearly remember i was able to before. I can only install by manually uploading of the same app. However, if I revert to previous OS version, e.g 6.10.7, everything is fine. So, it does not appear Netgear has changed setting on apps server end. 

I have tried re-install OS, factory reset. And of course, i have set up the repository correctly. 

I can not install even with virtual ReadyNAS on Vbox. 

Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@tigerten wrote:

Have any of you noticed that it is not possible to install apps from the available app list with OS 6.10.8 anymore? not even the linux-kernel-plus.

I tried this with an RN102, and am seeing this in install_debpkg.log:

E: Failed to fetch https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos/dists/6.10.8/apps/pool/k/kernelplus/kernelplus_1.0_all.deb  403  Forbidden

Accessing the deb file using my browser failed with the same error. Changing the 6.10.8 to 6.10.7 allowed me to download it.

@AnishaA , @NiveditaP@ChristineT - can you kindly follow up on this?  It looks like access permissions aren't set properly for the 6.10.8 distributions.

Message 2 of 11
AnishaA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @StephenB,

Sure we will follow this up further.

Have a lovely day, 
Anisha A
Netgear Team 

Message 3 of 11
tigerten
Luminary

Sounds like time to have a local copy of the ReadyNAS repository. But how?

I have a feeling Netgear will eventually shut that down.
Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@tigerten wrote:
Sounds like time to have a local copy of the ReadyNAS repository. But how?

This appears to be specific to the repository for the apps themselves.  Generally I think it's good to download the deb file anyway, as then you'll be able to reinstall the exact deb again later if you need to.

Note that the deb files for kernelplus (and other apps) can be downloaded from https://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9

Message 5 of 11
tigerten
Luminary

Yes, I have those all downloaded.

ReadyNAS also maintains its own repositories with their own or own versions of Debian packages. Those seemed to work better than the open Debian source. For example, the virtual Readynas does not come will NTFS supported built in, and you can not install the ntfs-3g Debian package. Netgear has its own solution. They are available in Readynas repository.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@AnishaA:  Please also check on https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos  - the distribution for 6.10.8 also appears to be not accessible. 

Message 7 of 11
tigerten
Luminary

@AnishaA
While you are here, can you kindly look at the whole repository:

deb https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.10.8 updates apps main

Make sure it works properly?

Thanks
Message 8 of 11
AnishaA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @tigerten , 

The reason is that the Debian 8 repo has been EOLed.

To install the APP, the dependency packages can’t be installed from the Debian 8 repo.

@StephenB  @tigerten I will check for repository and distribution anyways.

Have a lovely day, 
Anisha A
Netgear Team 

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@AnishaA wrote:

@StephenB  @tigerten I will check for repository and distribution anyways.

Thanks.  Although Debian 8 is archived, it is still possible to install the apps manually - which does require access to the repository and distribution.

FWIW, it is possible (and would be nice) to adjust the apt sources to use the debian 8 archive.  It would need to be untrusted though.  Of course it would be ideal to see a 6.11.0 release that migrates to current debian.

Message 10 of 11
tigerten
Luminary

The Debian security repo already removed Jessie. There will be no more security update, which might render Readynas unsafe.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements