× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to remove partialy seated drive caddy

mbkitmgr
Aspirant

Unable to remove partialy seated drive caddy

I have a RND4000 with 4 disks installed. I needed to check the model/serial number of one of the drives, removed the Drive+Caddy and when I went to re-insert the drive+caddy, it locked before fully seating in the chassis. I cant unlock the caddy to remove and reseat the drive. Anyone know how to do this.

This just about sees me completely finished with Netgear Crap (clients experieincing problems with VPN's, Firewalls, NAS devices) The support for each has been absolutely abissmal compared to other vendors. i know my stupid mistake for choosing it this time...
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to remove partialy seated drive caddy

Take a look at http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/how_can_i_release_a_stuck_disk_tray

For future reference when checking the model/serial number of drives you don't need to remove them to check them. In the v1 (which I presume is what you have based on your forum join date) you'd go to Status > Health in Frontview and click on the SMART+ button next to the drive.
Message 2 of 7
mbkitmgr
Aspirant

Right, thats a big help
Message 3 of 7
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

It is very hard to describe in text so here is a video. If you have trouble with the hole he is using, try the one just to the right.
Message 4 of 7
mbkitmgr
Aspirant

Thanks for the info - neither worked. The hole isnt accessible either way. A close inspection of the latch mechanism on the other caddy allowed me to work out how to get at the latch mechanism another way.

Sorry for my attititude in this post - I work with several different vendors in SMB and Enterprise arena's and I find it frustrating when you need support from NetGear. It has really opened my eyes
Message 5 of 7
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

I am sorry to hear that it has been giving you such a hassle. Would you be able to share the other way that you got to the latch?
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should also be noted that new models now come with a tray with a rectangular button. The newer trays don't run into this issue.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements