× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unexpected Network Error with NAS 102

tikitiki
Aspirant

Unexpected Network Error with NAS 102

I have a ReadyNAS 102, R8000 Router and Windows Surface PC - all running the latest OS versions.

I have had my itunes library on my NAS drive for years without any issues until the last few weeks.

Performance dropped to where itunes would freeze regularly and I am now getting problems copying any data/files over to the NAS and where I now get the 0x8007003B An Unexpected Network Error Occurred error.

I only get this issue when using wifi. When I am cabeled in to the NAS, it all works perfectly. Outside of the NAS issue my PC wifi is totally normal and runs things like general internet without any speed or connection issues.

My wifi is the 'ac' standard and Im connected to the 5GHz band.

Ive reinstalled the latest firmware on the router but that made no difference.

Online searching didnt really provide any answers - I have tried turning both the firewall and antivirus off but that made no difference.

Any ideas?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
tikitiki
Aspirant

Re: Unexpected Network Error with NAS 102

Replaced the router - the problem is now gone

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What apps and services do you have running on the NAS?  Have you checked the disk health?  How full is the volume?

One option is to PM the mods - @JohnCM_S and @Marc_V - and ask them to review the NAS logs.  

Message 2 of 13
tikitiki
Aspirant

Hi

Ive got 760GB free out of 1.8TB

All the indicators on the NAS admin pages show 'healthy' or are green

I dont run any other services or Apps. Its a pretty basic setup. I had the NAS antivirus on, but tried turning that off with no change

Perhaps I'll try DM'ing and see what happens

Some other things I forgot to mention are:

Ive run SFC Scannow on my PC which found no issues

I can stream from my NAS to my AV Reciever over wifi without any issue

Message 3 of 13
Hopchen
Prodigy

My post keeps failing to go through. Probably something to do with embedded links. I will send a PM.

Error 1073741275 seems to be permissions related.

Message 4 of 13
Hopchen
Prodigy

Sorry, wrong thread. I removed my reply

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@tikitiki wrote:

All the indicators on the NAS admin pages show 'healthy' or are green

Unfortunately that doesn't mean that much.  I suggest downloading the log zip file, as the mods would need that anyway.  You can look at disk health in disk_info.log and you can also see network statistics in network_settings.log.

If you are running 6.9.4 firmware on the RN102, then I suggest upgrading it to 6.9.5.  There were some bugs in 6.9.4 that resulted in connection timeouts.

You could also download Nastester ( http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance ) as it would let you run repeatable tests on file transfers.

Message 6 of 13
tikitiki
Aspirant

Hi

Im running 6.9.5 on the 102 already. Ive extracted the full logs but it I dont know enough to know what I am looking for.

There was an interesting development though. I happened to have got a ReadyNAS 212 yesterday and set that up. I got some different behaviours depending on where the NAS's were plugged into.

I took the 102 off being plugged into the main router (an R8000 running the latest firmware) and onto a Range Extender (an AC1200 running the latest firmware) and the file issue stopped. The brand new 212, plugged into the main router, then started having the same file sharing issue. I then swapped the NAS around. The 212 that was plugged into the Range Extender then worked normally, while the 102 then went back to having the same issue.

So there is a wi-fi issue only when the NAS is plugged directly into the main router and accessed directly, but not a wi-fi issue when the exact same information is going through the same main router, to the same NAS, but via a secondary wi-fi device. That seems an unusual problem, but maybe more router related.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@tikitiki wrote:

I took the 102 off being plugged into the main router (an R8000 running the latest firmware) and onto a Range Extender (an AC1200 running the latest firmware) and the file issue stopped.

Was your WiFi Client connected to the extender, or was it connected to the router WiFi?

Either way, is the problem symmetric?  That is, if the problem occurs when the WiFi client is connected to the extender and the NAS is connected to the router, does it also fail if the NAS is connected to the extender and the client is connected to the router?

Message 8 of 13
tikitiki
Aspirant

Hi

My PC was connected via wifi to the router > router was connected via wifi to the extender > and the NAS was cabled into extender - in that configuration it works with no issue

PC was connected via cable to the router > NAS was cabled into router - this has no issue as well

PC was connected via wifi to the router > NAS was cabled into router - this is the config that has the issue

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

That's odd.  

What happens when the PC is connected over wifi to the extender, with the NAS connected to the router?

Do you have jumbo frames enabled?

How about ipv6?

Message 10 of 13
tikitiki
Aspirant

Hi

When going "backwards" using wifi

PC > extender > router > cable to NAS

I get the unexpected network errors and/or very slow transfer speeds to the NAS (only fractionally better if I put a cable between the PC and extender)

I have ipv6

I dont have jumbo frames (ive only just found out what that means) but then this wasnt an issue previously - but there's no one thing (change, update, etc) I can recall that triggered this.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  So PC->extender->router->NAS fails, and PC->(wireless)->router->NAS also fails.

If you don't use ipv6 in your router (likely you don't), then you should disable ipv6 in the NAS.  So try that first, and see if anything changes.

It also might be useful to test PC -> (wireless) -> router -> NAS with the extender turned off.

BTW, are you seeing the failures on both 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz?

Message 12 of 13
tikitiki
Aspirant

Replaced the router - the problem is now gone

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements