× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unsigned Disks ReadyData 516

StubyDoo
Aspirant

Unsigned Disks ReadyData 516

Hi All, I hope this is the correct place to post.  I have a ReadyDATA 516 at work with 1 4Tb signed disk.  Having read that after firmware 1.4.4 you can use unsigned disk I bought 3 WD4000FYYZ 4Tb disks but the system is saying they are unsigned and won't let me create a volume with them.  The firmware installed is ReadyDATAOS 1.4.5 so should these disks be recogonised and if so, what am I doing wrong.  The working signed disk is a WD4000FYYZ so the same as the ones I bought and I've rebooted the chassis with the new disks in.

Model: RDD516|ReadyDATA 516 Diskless Chassis
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unsigned Disks ReadyData 516

Hi StubyDoo,

The fix has been applied already. You should now be able to use the new WD4000FYYZ disks on the RDD516.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi StubyDoo,

Welcome to the Community!

That is actually weird that the other 3 WD4000FYYZ are not working. If we can have remote SSH access to your NAS, we may be able to fix the issue. If you are familiar on how to use SSH, you can try enabling enabling the shells on the NAS so we can access the NAS remotely

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
StubyDoo
Aspirant

Hi John.

Thanks for this.  I have it connected to a PC and SSH is enabled and connecting.  How would you like to connect to the PC - TeamViewer?

Regards

Stu

Message 3 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi StubyDoo,

Yes, TeamViewer will do. You may just PM me the Teamviewer ID and password.

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi StubyDoo,

The fix has been applied already. You should now be able to use the new WD4000FYYZ disks on the RDD516.

Regards,

Message 5 of 10
Princemax
Aspirant

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with a Seagate ES.3 on a RD516 firmware 1.4.5. Could you please share the details of the fix ?

Thanks.

Max

Message 6 of 10
StubyDoo
Aspirant

The disks I bought were on the compatibility list but Netgear suspected they had changed from 512N to 512E sector size.  Netgear remoted on and allowed the disks.

Message 7 of 10
Princemax
Aspirant

Thank you Stuby.

So I guess, as my ReadyData is not on warranty anymore,that I will have no help from Netgear and I will not be able to use it anymore. Wouldn't be better if they publish a fix or share the instruction to solve the problem instead of remoting customers's NAS who still have the active warranty and ignoring the others ? 

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Princemax wrote:

So I guess, as my ReadyData is not on warranty anymore,that I will have no help from Netgear 

Well, you could still use paid support via my.netgear.com.  Ask about per-incident support.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm
Virtuoso

@StubyDoo wrote:

The disks I bought were on the compatibility list but Netgear suspected they had changed from 512N to 512E sector size.  Netgear remoted on and allowed the disks.

If your disks are 512E performance would likely be pretty bad using the disks, though. Of course that's still better than an unusable system.

What's needed is proper support for 512E disks especially as 512N disks are becoming harder and harder to find.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements