× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Update of disc firmware?

sm7ovk
Aspirant

Update of disc firmware?

Hi,
Is it possible in any way to update the disc-firmware when the disc's are in my ReadyNAS duo? If not, is it possible to connect the disc to a computer and upgrade even if it's not formatted as a PC-disc? I realize that the firmware hasn't anything to do with the formatting, but will the computer realize that the disc is to be updated?
I have two HD204UI from Samsung and apparently there might be some problems with the firmware I have in these...
Regards
Jens
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Update of disc firmware?

You'll need to hook the drives up to a PC to do the firmware upgrade.

Whilst drive firmware upgrades should leave data intact drive manufacturers typically recommend you backup the data on your disks as a precaution first.
Message 2 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

There was a posting about this here:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=46391&p=344758&hilit=Samsung+HD204UI#p344758

Seagate has moved their Knowledge base site again, and here is the link and the directions:
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223571en/?q=Samsung+HD204UI+firmware+upgrade&languag...

That being said, since it has been a while since the patching discussion took place you may not have to patch them. However, since it doesn't seem to hurt, if you have the equipment necessary (PC with available SATA port/cable and power connector) and the time you might seriously consider it. Keep in mind that at the time that initial discussion took place, the HD204UI drives were not on the HCL, but are now, and with no restrictive notes about firmware version on the HCL comment column. You should update your Duo to the latest version of RAIDiator (currently 4.1.8 ) to make sure that your system has the best opportunities.

As to flashing the firmware in the NAS - no that is not possible and as mdgm pointed out - always make sure your backup is current and complete before undertaking any major modification and a firmware flash definitely comes under that heading. I do it before hot changing a drive and updating the version of RAIDiator. (Although with a second NAS as my backup unit, it is far quicker and easier).
Message 3 of 7
sm7ovk
Aspirant

Many thanks for your fast replies!
I did look for old postings but I didn't found this.

I think I bought the disc's very soon after they were on the compability list so I might have got disc's with older firmware. Since I just have had a problem with three :shock: Seagate disc's casued by firmware I'm very careful - especially since the ReadyNAS contain my photo backups! I'll try this asap and since I have two disc's I'll upgrade them one at the time so I can check if I loose any data in the proces. (I'll do an extra backup for sure on a third disc... )

Thanks for the help!
Message 4 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

One always has more flexibility with a good backup, saves the "Oh, Shucks" moments.
Message 5 of 7
ianch99
Aspirant

For what it is worth, I bought two HD204UI drives last Dec and I was concerned if I had to update the firmware as well. I contacted Segate support quoting the serial numbers and they said:

Thank you for contacting Seagate.

We checked our system and your drives are not affected by a firmware problem.

Regards,

so I did not bother (only have a Mac at home). So far, no problems. They are good drives and run cooler than the 1TB Seagate ones they replaced
Message 6 of 7
ianch99
Aspirant

According to this: http://askconrad.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/samsung-f4-firmware-update/

Drives manufactured Dec 2010 or later already include the firmware patch.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements