× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Updated disk tray availabliity

vandermerwe
Master

Updated disk tray availabliity

The new Readynas models have a new disk tray that is able to accommodate some of the new 8 and 10tb disks.  

There has been a quiet request by StephenB  in 2015 for these to be made available to owners of other Readynas models, but as far as I can see it is not possible to obtain them.  

I seem to be unable to access email support anymore so I haven't been able to ask support.

i think most users who want to use these disks would be prepared to pay for the newer trays.  I have seen other users obtaining replacement trays via accessory RMA, so presumably it is possible to get these.  Please would Netgear make them available.

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Updated disk tray availabliity

@vandermerwe wrote:

i think most users who want to use these disks would be prepared to pay for the newer trays.  I have seen other users obtaining replacement trays via accessory RMA, so presumably it is possible to get these.  Please would Netgear make them available.

Alternatively, if there are third-party disk trays that work it would be extremely helpful if people (including Netgear) could identify them.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think the compatibility list indicates you can remove the toolless insert from your disk tray that you already have and use the drive tray screws with at least some of those disks?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

I think the compatibility list indicates you can remove the toolless insert from your disk tray that you already have and use the drive tray screws with at least some of those disks?

I'm not looking for trays myself.  My WDC 6 and 8 TB drives all fit my OS6 trays (without needing to remove the insert).

I agree that removing the toolless insert should solve it in most cases, for some reason that option hasn't yet been added to the hardware manual.

The newest trays I received (with the 526x) have additional mounting holes added.  Some users might need those mount points (or at least feel better about having them, so they can mount the disks more securely).

Netgear used to sell replacement trays - my guess is that they dropped that due to low volumes.  But IMO replacement trays, screws, and power bricks really should be available.  Or at least have specs published, so people can safely purchase them from third parties.

Message 4 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

I would like to use the 8tb Seagate Ironwolf drives which would only have a single pair of holes matched to the tray.  I wouldn't be happy with this mounting arrangement particularly as the drives are very expensive.  

Netgear are clearly having the new trays manufactured for the new units so the cost of manufacturing a few more should be low.  

I agree that user replaceable/upgradeable parts like this should be available for purchase. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements