× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade NV+ v2 (Firmware 5.3.1.1) from 4x2TB to largest possible

brdoddsjr
Apprentice

Upgrade NV+ v2 (Firmware 5.3.1.1) from 4x2TB to largest possible

I have 4x2TB currently installed.  I understand that there are maximum disc size and maximum upgrade capacities.  Can I go larger than the 4TB Reds on the compatibility list?  How to I best perform the upgrade with all 4 bays occupied? I'm not knowledgeable in this area, so please take that into consideration.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4210v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The general rules are that

(1) the volume cannot expand to larger than 16 TiB

(2) the volume cannot expand more than 8 TiB from its initial size.

The second constraint limits you.  If you started by installing all four 2 TB drives, then you can expand to about 14 TB volume size.

4x4TB2 would bring you from 6 TB to 12 TB, so that is no problem.  4x5TB will fail.

If you go with mixed sizes, it should be possible to upgrade to 2x6TB+2x4TB.  If you do that, be sure to install the 4 TB before you install the 6 TB drives.

General advice: update your backup first (just in case).  Then replace each drive one at a time, with the system running.  Wait for the resync to be completely finished before you move on to the next drive.  

For planning purposes, assume you can replace one drive each day.  Though the resync time grows as the volume gets bigger.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

But if you are willing to do a factory default and start over, I don't believe there is a current limit.  Just power down and remove the existing drives, replace with the new, and power back up.  Factory default will be automatic.  And you can always put the old drives back in (as a set, with power off) if you find something missing from your backup whe you go to restore to the new volume.

Note than once your volume exceeds the 16TiB limit, any future size increase will require a factory default.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But if you are willing to do a factory default and start over, I don't believe there is a current limit. 

That's definitely true if the drives are all the same size.

I think there are corner cases when the drives are mixed sizes - especially when the raid "base layer" is less than 16 TiB, but the vertical expansion raises it over 16 TiB.

Message 4 of 6
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

Thanks. Pretty sure I understand.  I currently have 4 2TB drives installed.  I'm not sure what I started with.  Probably 2 2TB drives and added 2 later, but I'm not sure.  Is there a way I can see what my original capacity was?  All I want to do is go from 4 x 2TB to 4 x 4TB with Reds

Model: ReadyNAS RND4210v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It is possible tell from the log zip file, but I am not certain on how to do that with a v2.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements