× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade from NV+ to 424 (kind of URGENT!)

pw_ng
Aspirant

Upgrade from NV+ to 424 (kind of URGENT!)

Help!

I have an old NV+ which has died.  I guess power supply problem, because the unit is lifeless.

It was time for an upgrade anyway, so I bought a 424, for use with the same set of 4 x 2TB WD HDDs. These disks contain a large collection of critical data, in a RAID array, selected precisely because I expected that this woud be my reliable long-term storage for personal data.

I found a youtube video which said I could simply move the disks to the new enclosure, they would be recognised and I'd be upgraded. Which made sense.

But, the new 424 reports that I have Dirty Disks and only offers the option to reformat.  

I have reversed the order of the disks, thinking I might have got that wrong, with no better result.

What can I do to access/recover these disks? 

I really hope for authoritative advice from Netgear here, because I'm a long term customer and have put my faith in their products for this rather critical storage application.

Thanks.

Paul.

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 5
pw_ng
Aspirant

Re: Upgrade from NV+ to 424 (kind of URGENT!)

Here's what RAIDar says.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@pw_ng wrote:

I found a youtube video which said I could simply move the disks to the new enclosure, they would be recognised and I'd be upgraded. Which made sense.

Perhaps it makes sense, but it isn't true.  You can't directly migrate from the legacy NAS (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 5.3.x firmware) to OS 6 ReadyNAS.

In the case of the NV+, the disks can be mounted temporarily in the RN424 by support.  Then you have to backup the data to other storage.  You then set up the system to run OS-6, and restore the data from the backup.

I believe support charges for this.

https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Message 3 of 5
pw_ng
Aspirant

Thank you very much.

Thing is, my ReadyNAS NV+ chassis is dead.  Do I need a working NV+ chassis in order to recover the data from the disks?

The website here is not very clear at all, so I hope NETGEAR support can tell me what I need to do. 

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@pw_ng wrote:

Thing is, my ReadyNAS NV+ chassis is dead.  Do I need a working NV+ chassis in order to recover the data from the disks?

If you use the process in the KB article I posted above then you don't need a working NV+ chassis.  

@pw_ng wrote:

The website here is not very clear at all 

What do you find unclear in the KB link?

Personally I find some lack of clarity around the costs, but the process looks clear to me.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements