× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade from NV+ to Ultra 4 Plus?

tbh999
Star

Upgrade from NV+ to Ultra 4 Plus?

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ with what I think is a bad power supply, it's been down for over a week and I can't get any kind of response from NetGEAR about a replacement power supply (Case No. 17898527). I need this fixed sooner than later so I'm looking into my options, such as building a Windows Home Server, buying an identical NV+ (Not the NV+ V2), buying a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus, or buying someone else NAS (I haven't been overly impressed with the response time from NetGEAR Support!).

I realized that going from the NV+ to the Ultra will require me to reformat the drives, but my question is: Will my existing four 400GB Barracuda 7200.9 (ST3400633AS) [small by today's standards, but it was huge in 2006] from my NV+ work in the Ultra, the drive is listed as a compatible drive for the NV+, but is not listed for the Ultra. I suspect that they will, it's just that the listed of drives for the Ultra start at 500GB not 400GB (and the equivalent 500GB 7200.9 is listed for the Ultra).
Message 1 of 5
TeknoJnky
Hero

RE: power supply, unfortunately is out of stock @ amazon http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Spare-Pow ... 732&sr=1-1

possibly your best bet is EBAY for a cheap working NV+, then you can put the disks and boot up (assuming your power supply is the problem and nothing has damaged the OS/CONFIG/DATA on the disks).

as far as the disks, I would expect them to work fine, just because a drive is not on the list, doesn't mean it won't work, it just means it has not been tested by netgear.

As long as you have a backup of the data on the disks, or you can get the data off via a replacement device etc, because as you noted, the ultra won't be able to read the disks and will have to format them to use them.
Message 2 of 5
tbh999
Star

Thanks, yes, every on-line store I typically use say that the PS is Back-Ordered, Discontinued or Special Order (Amazon.com, Buy.com, NewEqq.com, ProVantage.com, etc.). That's why I turned to customer service, It also turns out (after doing some research on this forum) that, my NV+ is in the range of S/N that had power supply issues.

I looked into buying an NV+ on eBay too, but, they're not that much of a bargain (they seem to be going for about $150, but I can buy a new one from NewEgg for ~$250).
Message 3 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

Unfortunately, the Netgear store is also showing the PSU as "Out of Stock". Your best bet is to give tech support another try. If you opened an on line case, you should have an e-mail contact. It seems that now instead of sending out a replacement PSU as they used to do, they are replacing the entire chassis, which may work in your favor if it possibly damaged the motherboard.
Message 4 of 5
tbh999
Star

Thanks for the reply. It looks like there may be an issue with the NetGEAR customer support system. When I go to the Online Support Submissions page on the NetGEAR Service portal, is shows my Case No., but when I click on it, it says that "The case can not be found!" So, I have opened a second Case No. asking what every happened to the first ticket, if I get an email response (to a real person) I can send them all the details again if need be.

Regarding emails, I have only received two from NetGEAR, one stating that they have received my case submission and one that said "...additional time is necessary to effectively process your request." One email was from do-not-reply@netgear-support.com and the other was from no-reply@netgear.com, so, I don't have an email address to reply to.

So, to me it looks like a database glitch, which may explain why a week has gone by without anyone contacting me...

All of my files reside in other places (the ReadyNAS was a back-up select files from my desktop and was the server for my Squeezeboxes - Both of which are also back-up off site). So I haven't lost anything but convenience (I now have to keep my power hunger desktop on to run my Squeezeboxes, and I no longer have a local back-up)
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements