× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading HD on the RN42800-100NES

MarcHermitte
Aspirant

Upgrading HD on the RN42800-100NES

Hello! I have 8x8 HGST drives for a total of 64 TO on my 8 bays RN42800-100NES .

I'd like to replace those 8 TB by new 16 TB HD but I', wondering if:

1) the new 16 TB HD will be recognized by the NAS (from what I've read on this forum yes, It should) and then:

2) Can I replace the 8 TB hard drive progressively, letting the NAS the time to rebuild the missing datas as I only want to expand the total space of storage but not loose any data.

Thank you.

It's sad Netgear stopped selling those readyNAS, I own 2 of them and never had any complaint about them, plus the price tag was really good.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading HD on the RN42800-100NES

@MarcHermitte wrote:

X-Raid, yes. 43.6 is the exact storage space I have.

Great.

@MarcHermitte wrote:

1) the new 16 TB HD will be recognized by the NAS

Yes, as long as it is SATA (and not SAS).  FWIW, the largest size I'm currently using myself is 14 TB, others here have reported success with bigger drives.

@MarcHermitte wrote:

2) Can I replace the 8 TB hard drive progressively, letting the NAS the time to rebuild the missing datas as I only want to expand the total space of storage but not lose any data.

You can, though it will take longer (with a lot more disk i/o).

Expansion won't happen until you upgrade the fourth disk - when that resyncs the volume will grow by 16 TB to 64 TB.  The remaining four upgrades will add an additional 8 TB per resync.

You don't actually need to upgrade all of them now, you could start by upgrading 4 and then do the rest later on as your storage needs grow.

It sounds like you might not have a backup for your data.  If that is the case, I suggest putting some backup plan in place - either a second NAS, or a set of USB drives. Even RAID-6 isn't enough to keep your data safe.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@MarcHermitte wrote:

Hello! I have 8x8 HGST drives for a total of 64 TO on my 8 bays RN42800-100NES .

Are you using X-RAID?  Normally 8x8TB would be set up for dual redundancy - a 48 TB volume (43.6 TiB).

Message 2 of 6
MarcHermitte
Aspirant

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@MarcHermitte wrote:

Great.

@MarcHermitte wrote:

1) the new 16 TB HD will be recognized by the NAS

Yes, as long as it is SATA (and not SAS).  FWIW, the largest size I'm currently using myself is 14 TB, others here have reported success with bigger drives.

@MarcHermitte wrote:

2) Can I replace the 8 TB hard drive progressively, letting the NAS the time to rebuild the missing datas as I only want to expand the total space of storage but not lose any data.

You can, though it will take longer (with a lot more disk i/o).

Expansion won't happen until you upgrade the fourth disk - when that resyncs the volume will grow by 16 TB to 64 TB.  The remaining four upgrades will add an additional 8 TB per resync.

You don't actually need to upgrade all of them now, you could start by upgrading 4 and then do the rest later on as your storage needs grow.

It sounds like you might not have a backup for your data.  If that is the case, I suggest putting some backup plan in place - either a second NAS, or a set of USB drives. Even RAID-6 isn't enough to keep your data safe.

Message 4 of 6
MarcHermitte
Aspirant

oK, THANK you. I was actually hesitating between upgrading my Netgear Nas HD OR buy and set up a completely new NAS. 

From what you say, It would be a better choice to buy a new NAS.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@MarcHermitte wrote:

oK, THANK you. I was actually hesitating between upgrading my Netgear Nas HD OR buy and set up a completely new NAS. 

From what you say, It would be a better choice to buy a new NAS.

If you were to do that, you could use the RN428 to backup the new one.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements