× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading drive on ReadyNAS Pro 4

dave1234
Aspirant

Upgrading drive on ReadyNAS Pro 4

I have a Ready NAS Pro 4 that I got maybe 5 or 6 years ago.  I used (4) standard Seagate ST3000M001 drives.  It worked well for about 3 years.  Then I started getting errors on 3 of the 4 drives.  I ended up replacing all 3 and lost all data because as it was rebuilding data after I replaced one disk, a second went out completely.  Anyway, after another couple of years, another disk is going out (probably the one I didn't replace the first go-around).  I think this time I will do it right & use NAS drives.  I am considering Seagate IronWolf Pro drives and wonder if anyone has any experience with these in a Pro 4 - or know of any reason why they won't work.  They are not on Netgear's list of approved drives, but neither were the ones I was using previously.  I'm thinking they are not on that list since it is an older system and the IronWorlf Pro are relatively new.

Also, The drives I was going to use are 4TB since the IronWolf Pro does not come in 3 TB.  Is there a way to replace all 4 drives without doing it all at once and losing all my data?  Can I replace one at a time & let the NAS rebuild the data on that one before replacing the next one?  I didn't think you were supposed to mix different drives.  If I replace a 3TB drive with a 4TB, will the system format it as a 3TB to match the others?

Thanks,

Dave

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
dave1234
Aspirant

Re: Upgrading drive on ReadyNAS Pro 4

Sorry, model is a "ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis Only" and I am using RAID Level X-RAID2, 4 disks / Redundant

Dave

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Many folks (not just ReadyNAS users) have had problems using Seagate 3 TB "DM" drives in RAID arrays.

The HCL for legacy NAS hasn't been updated in long time, so it is no longer a useful guide for purchase.  Ironwolf Pro drives should work fine (as would WDC Red Pro or WDC Gold).  Many users also find that WDC Red or Ironwolf work quite will - I use the WDC Reds myself.

@dave1234 wrote:

Is there a way to replace all 4 drives without doing it all at once and losing all my data?  Can I replace one at a time & let the NAS rebuild the data on that one before replacing the next one?  I didn't think you were supposed to mix different drives.  If I replace a 3TB drive with a 4TB, will the system format it as a 3TB to match the others?

XRAID volumes are expandable (within limits noted below).  You can replace (hot-swap) one drive, then wait for it to fully resync.  The volume size won't change at this step.  Then you can hot-swap the second drive.  After resync, the system will prompt you to reboot.  It will then expand the volume by 1 TB.   

After that, you can hot-swap the remaining two drives (one at a time), and the volume will expand 1 TB with each disk - leaving you with a 12 TB (10.9 TiB) volume.

This assumes you won't hit the expansion limits

• a volume cannot be expanded over 16 TiB total size
  • a volume cannot be expanded more than 8 TiB over its starting size

The first limit can't be hit in your case, but if you started with 2x3TB when you recreated the volume some years ago you might hit the second limit when you replace the last drive.  If you do hit the limit, the only workaround is to do a factory reset (which is destructive, and requires a backup).

What firmware are you running?  Current firmware is 4.2.31, if you are running older firmware I recommend updating it before you begin.

Message 3 of 4
dave1234
Aspirant

Stephen,

Thanks for your response.  I started with (4) - 3TB drives for a total of 12TB (9TB accessable with the 4th disk as a backup), so it looks like I shouldn't be affected by the 8TB over starting size limit.

I am currently running firmware 4.2.27.  As per your suggestion I am currently updating to 4.2.31.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements