× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading from ReadyNAS 312 to ReadyNAS RN424 and need suggestions on data migration

DTurley
Aspirant

Upgrading from ReadyNAS 312 to ReadyNAS RN424 and need suggestions on data migration

Hello all,

My business currently runs on a ReadyNAS 312 running OS 6.10.2 and I have purchased a ReadyNAS RN424 as an upgrade. What is the easiest way to migrate over all data including users, permissions, files, etc.? I would prefer that the device operates exactly the same way in the eyes of the users so that they won't know any different. Is this doable or do I need to manually setup users and permissions? Thank you in advance.

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrading from ReadyNAS 312 to ReadyNAS RN424 and need suggestions on data migration

@DTurley

Welcome to the Community!

Migrating your RN312 to RN424 is as simple as putting in all of the disks in order. See Migrating a volume.

It is best practice as well to initialize the new NAS first and update the FW to the latest which your RN312 has right now.

If you plan on expanding your volume then this would be the best time as well, If you are planning to increase the capacity of your disks, another option is to setup the RN424 with 4 new disks and transfer the data from the RN312 using the backup manager on the NAS..

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrading from ReadyNAS 312 to ReadyNAS RN424 and need suggestions on data migration

@DTurley

Welcome to the Community!

Migrating your RN312 to RN424 is as simple as putting in all of the disks in order. See Migrating a volume.

It is best practice as well to initialize the new NAS first and update the FW to the latest which your RN312 has right now.

If you plan on expanding your volume then this would be the best time as well, If you are planning to increase the capacity of your disks, another option is to setup the RN424 with 4 new disks and transfer the data from the RN312 using the backup manager on the NAS..

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 10
bedlam1
Prodigy

Surely a combined solution would work by migrating the 2 disks from RN312, achieving the OP wish to avoid setting up from scratch the RN424, followed by introducing 2 new (larger) disks to expand?

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

Surely a combined solution would work by migrating the 2 disks from RN312, achieving the OP wish to avoid setting up from scratch the RN424, followed by introducing 2 new (larger) disks to expand?

That would of course work also.  Though I want to point out that the order matters here - if you use XRAID/RAID-5 you can't set up the RN424 with the larger disks and then add the smaller ones from the RN312.

Message 4 of 10
DTurley
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. The NAS requires at least one disk to configure before hand correct?
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DTurley wrote:
 The NAS requires at least one disk to configure before hand correct?

Yes.  And the configuration is saved on the disk(s), so there's no point in doing configuring the NAS and then removing the disk(s) and migrating. 

Updating the firmware is a bit different though, as that is also saved in the flash. If you migrate, the system would compare the firmware in it's flash and the firmware on the drives.  If the flash is newer, it will update the OS on the disks.  If the OS is newer, then it will update the flash from the disks.  

@Marc_V suggested updating the firmware prior to migration - which is a bit cleaner, since the new system won't need to upgrade the OS partition as part of the migration. 

Message 6 of 10
DTurley
Aspirant

Cool. One final question. Order of disks is left to right on both models?

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DTurley wrote:

Cool. One final question. Order of disks is left to right on both models?

Yes.

Message 8 of 10
DTurley
Aspirant

Ok, migration went perfectly. Now with two empty bays, can I simply add two blank SATA drives to to those bays to essentially double my RAID1 configuration?
Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, you'll get tripple the space with two new drives the same size as what you have, unless you want to do something different.  With XRAID enabled, when you add the first one, it will convert the RAID 1 to RAID 5, doubling the space because it still only have (or need) one drive for reduncy.  And the 4th drive will add the same amount again (plus any extra space the third had over the others).  Each step will require a sync, so it takes some time.

If you want two RAID 1 volumes (and I don't know why you would), you need to toggle XRAID off and the system will let you create a new volume from the two new drives.

if you only need the spoace form one new drive right now, it's best to just add that.  Sync time is shorter, and it spaces out the operting times of the drives, making simultaneous failure less likely.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements