× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading from ReadyNAS Duo v2 to ReadyNAS 212 (can I simply transfer the disks?)

DesHolmes
Follower

Upgrading from ReadyNAS Duo v2 to ReadyNAS 212 (can I simply transfer the disks?)

My ReadyNAS Duo v2 is not powering up (checked fuse). I'm looking to upgrade to the ReadyNas 212.

Question is, can I take the 2 x SATA 1TB disks out from the ReadyNAS Duo v2 and put them directly into the ReadyNas 212?

Or will I need to start from scratch and copy the files off the drives first - advice on how to retrieve the files, if it is required, would be much appreciated.

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only,RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading from ReadyNAS Duo v2 to ReadyNAS 212 (can I simply transfer the disks?)

@DesHolmes wrote:

Question is, can I take the 2 x SATA 1TB disks out from the ReadyNAS Duo v2 and put them directly into the ReadyNas 212?

No, you can't.

There is some information here: http://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNAS...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading from ReadyNAS Duo v2 to ReadyNAS 212 (can I simply transfer the disks?)

@DesHolmes wrote:

No, you can't.

There is some information here: http://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNAS...

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So if your Duo v2 is working and you want to reuse your disks from the Duo v2 you would update your regular backup (e.g. to a USB disk or another NAS), remove the disks, put them in the RN212 and do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and then restore your data from backup.

One option would be to get new disks for the RN212, use a backup job to copy the data across and then switch the source and destination of the backup job to use the Duo v2 to backup your new NAS going forward.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements