× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using a solid state in RN21400

Bjohn1
Aspirant

Using a solid state in RN21400

Hi Folks,

I have a RN21400 with 2, 2tb HDDs.

One of the disks is getting a high uncorrectable error count, so needs replacing.

May I replace it with a solid state drive, are these compatible?

If so, any suggestions/ links on which I could use.

(I have searched forum, couple of similiar questions but I cant even understand the answers)

Any comments gratefully recived.

Kin Regards

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using a solid state in RN21400

@Bjohn1 wrote:

One of the disks is getting a high uncorrectable error count, so needs replacing.

If the size matches, then you can use it.  But you won't get SSD speed unless you replace both drives.  Likely you will get a warning about a speed mismatch.

FWIW, the HCL only lists Samsung 850 Pro and Samsung 860 Pro models in this size range.  The 860 pro is expensive, I don't think the 850 pro is still available in this particular size.  Other SSDs likely will work, but at least some of them misbehave in minor ways.  For instance: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/rn-expand-2065-Failed-to-get-device...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using a solid state in RN21400

@Bjohn1 wrote:

If the size matches, then you can use it.  But you won't get SSD speed unless you replace both drives.  Likely you will get a warning about a speed mismatch.

FWIW, the HCL only lists Samsung 850 Pro and Samsung 860 Pro models in this size range.  The 860 pro is expensive, I don't think the 850 pro is still available in this particular size.  Other SSDs likely will work, but at least some of them misbehave in minor ways.  For instance: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/rn-expand-2065-Failed-to-get-device...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements