× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vista Gadget

Nick_123
Aspirant

Vista Gadget

Hi, Thought it would be a useful feature to have a gadget for vista display bar to display the spec's (Fan speed,temp,HDD...) of NV+

So kinda like the yahoo widget.

Anyone like the idea?
Message 1 of 62
getz76
Aspirant

Re: Vista Gadget

I do.
Message 2 of 62
mlubby
Aspirant

agree

same here. I downloaded the Yahoo gadgets to my XP machine and promptly started to get BSOD and yahoo widgets did not work well. My Vista machine would like to have the gadget from Infrant.
Message 3 of 62
Sunday_Afterno1
Aspirant

+1 here! a vista gadget would be really cool.

Sun pm
Message 4 of 62
athomson
Aspirant

I would like to see a Vista gadget too.

Andy
Message 5 of 62
jvanzijl
Aspirant

+1 :lol:

John
Message 6 of 62
DGeorge
Aspirant

Nice idea...

Its a great idea BUT think about it. There would be a lot of data being exchanged to carry this out which would have an impact on the NAS itself. Even if its just small amounts of data every 10 seconds its still additional load on a system. Realtime isn't what I believe these systems were designed for. And of course the scheduling would have to be done from the plugin as Linux works in one minute updates for teh likes of cron at etc.

Davin
Message 7 of 62
solitaire1
Aspirant

Re: Nice idea...

DGeorge wrote:
Its a great idea BUT think about it. There would be a lot of data being exchanged to carry this out which would have an impact on the NAS itself. Even if its just small amounts of data every 10 seconds its still additional load on a system. Realtime isn't what I believe these systems were designed for. And of course the scheduling would have to be done from the plugin as Linux works in one minute updates for teh likes of cron at etc.

Davin

Isn't that true for yahoo and Mac widgets too?

My vote is FOR a vista gadget.
Message 8 of 62
reelmccoy
Aspirant

Might as well add another name to the list. I'd love to see something like the Yahoo thingy so I can keep tabs on two NVs (NV/NV+).
Message 9 of 62
jvanzijl
Aspirant

+1

John.
Message 10 of 62
getz76
Aspirant

I will also reiterate my desire for a Vista gadget. This would be useful for me personally. Considering the rather large installation base of Vista, it makes sense. Love it or hate it, there have been about 100 million copies sold so far. After the holiday, I imagine the number will be much, much bigger.

I know the team has bigger fish to fry (firmware 4) right now, but can any of the Jedi counsel give an idea if this project would be supported by management?

Cheers.
Message 11 of 62
wardie
Aspirant

+1
Message 12 of 62
jidol
Aspirant

Sounds like a useful monitoring tool. I concur.
Message 13 of 62
Slaine1
Aspirant

+1
Message 14 of 62
pj91
Aspirant

+ 1
Message 15 of 62
meschubert
Aspirant

I'll bump this topic and add myself to the list.
Message 16 of 62
geirvb
Aspirant

+1 😄
Message 17 of 62
dev
Aspirant
Aspirant

+1
Message 18 of 62
miguelcouce
Aspirant

Come on, vista gadget !!!
Message 19 of 62
getz76
Aspirant

🙂

More requests than I thought there would be.
Message 20 of 62
wmcelhan1
Aspirant

Widget to gadget converter?

Anyone know of good Widget to Gadget converter for this?

🙂
Message 21 of 62
wmcelhan1
Aspirant

Taken from...
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 1&SiteID=1

"There's no easy way way to convert a Yahoo widget into a Vista gadget because Yahoo widgets don't use HTML (they use a proprietary XML format). You could conceivable do this brute force by looking the the Yahoo widget's source code and rewriting it for Vista, using the same image resources, but that is probably a difficult task.

There is a way to automatically convert Google web gadgets into Vista gadgets (using Amnesty Generator) so if you can find a gadget that is similar to the Yahoo widget you want, that may be an option for you.
"

From: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 1&SiteID=1
Message 22 of 62
harmlessdrudge
Aspirant

+1
Message 23 of 62
Duckman1
Aspirant

Go Go Vista Gadget!