× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume Missing RN204

johncampanale
Aspirant

Volume Missing RN204

I have a giant question.  This NAS was my son's and I have inherited it when he moved to TN last year.  It started with 2x4TB drives as a JBOD setup.  In setting up a new network here, we ended up with a corrupted file system. Long story short, I ended up sending the device up to him. Once he was able to access the drives, with his Mac, he was able to do a deep dive into the drives and able to get all the files off them. Once he got all the data off the drives, we started afresh with two eight terabyte drives along with the 2 four terabyte drives. He then copied all the data back to the drives, this time setup as Raid 5 (I think).  When I got back to FL and rebooted the NAS it hung at 54% while booting up, then finished with a Volume: DEGRADED with the power button and Drive slot #3 blinking.  Rebooted the NAS and everything looked fine, but only showing 3 drives, 1,2,4 with slot 3 empty. 

Using RAIDar I was able to see the following:(see photo)

Upon reboot I now had this displaying on the NAS: ReadyNAS is in safe mode, nas-65-54-D6 192.168.7.109. Press power again to shut down. It took 1 min 15 sec to shutdown.  Once I rebooted I now get the following:  Slot #’a 1,2,4 are lit, act. light flashing like there is network activity, and this when I log into the NAS:(see photo)

Any thoughts about this.  I have the logs, but since the NAS was completely reset, they only cover the time since my son reinstalled the OS and installed the new and original drives.

Thanks,

John Campanale

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Volume Missing RN204

It sounds like something might have happened when the NAS was transported back to your home. 

I think it'd be best to use paid support for this (via my.netgear.com).  Note they don't support used equipment, so you should be using your son's account (and making it clear that it is simply a family NAS). 

Also, you might want to check the warranty status (3 years for the original purchaser).

Message 2 of 15
johncampanale
Aspirant

I don't know/remember how old this NAS is.  It doesn't even see the drive in slot #3.  I do have the logs, and I do have a backup ~10GB 8+hours away, but I would like to see if I could get the info off this NAS and swap out the older 4GB drives.  

Any shot on a way to do this.  I've seen thru the community that this seems to be happening more and more. ie:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Missing-volume-after-hard-reboot/m-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Missing-volume-after-power-failure/...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/What-is-this-RN204-doing/m-p/1081143#M10...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/RN204-volume-lost/m-p/1173539#M12540

Thanks!!!

John

Message 3 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

The messages you pointed to don't seem the same as your problem unless you left out some details.  It sounds to me like you either have a failed drive or a failed drive bay.  The first step is to remove and re-insert all drives with power off, to insure they didn't become partly unseated in transit.  If that changes nothing, then remove the unrecognized drive and connect it to a PC using an internal SATA connector or a SATA to USB adapter/dock/case and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it.  If that says the drive is good, remove all drives and use a spare drive in one of the good slots to create a new volume, then power off, move it to the suspect slot, and see if it'll boot.

FWIW, I would never ship a NAS with the drives installed, though I know Netgear does sell some with drives that must have shipped that way.

Message 4 of 15
johncampanale
Aspirant

That might have been what happened.  I know I tried that and then slot #3 went from blinking before with the degraded to online like the others, then after a reboot now it's offline with no activity.  Also, when I first got into the NAS, I was able to see the files, now there are no volumes, but the 2 blank volumes.  It started as one, then went to 2 like in this link:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/What-is-this-RN204-doing/m-p/1081143#M10...

Then instead of showing Data and Data-1 now they are blank volumes

Message 5 of 15
johncampanale
Aspirant

Is there a way to put the NAS into read only mode to try to get the data moved?

Thanks,

John

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@johncampanale wrote:

Is there a way to put the NAS into read only mode to try to get the data moved?

Your problem is that your data volume isn't mounting.  You could reboot into read-only mode, but your volume still won't mount.

Message 7 of 15
johncampanale
Aspirant

nded up tossing all the data and reset the NAS, only ended up with 3 drives as the 4TB still willnot read. 

Now ended up with another problem, We use an EERO Mesh network here, and the EERO sets up it's own network at 192.168.4.1 with a 255.255.252.0 subnet to allow enough address's.  So now I have address's in the 192.168.4.x, 192.168.5.x and 192.168.7.x range.  

The computer and the NAS are on the same switch, on the same range, 192.168.5.2 (NAS) and 192.168.5.11 (computer).  I get the Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer. Check your network settings.  RAIDar sees the NAS just fine, but cannot access the NAS at all.  If I go directly to the IP address of the NAS in Chrome, I can access it fine.  Any thoughts.  See attached screenshots.

Thanks, John

https://studentsfscj-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/campj2_students_fscj_edu/Ek6X5KcfodNCpecjErnVf...

Message 8 of 15
johncampanale
Aspirant

Ended up tossing all the data and reset the NAS, only ended up with 3 drives as the 4TB still willnot read. 

Now ended up with another problem, We use an EERO Mesh network here, and the EERO sets up it's own network at 192.168.4.1 with a 255.255.252.0 subnet to allow enough address's.  So now I have address's in the 192.168.4.x, 192.168.5.x and 192.168.7.x range.  

The computer and the NAS are on the same switch, on the same range, 192.168.5.2 (NAS) and 192.168.5.11 (computer).  I get the Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer. Check your network settings.  RAIDar sees the NAS just fine, but cannot access the NAS at all.  If I go directly to the IP address of the NAS in Chrome, I can access it fine.  Any thoughts.  See attached screenshots.

Thanks, JohnAnnotation 2021-02-06 164712.png

Annotation 2021-02-06 164632.png

Annotation 2021-02-06 164554.png

Annotation 2021-02-06 164437.png

Annotation 2021-02-06 164350.png

Message 9 of 15
johncampanale
Aspirant

@johncampanale wrote:

Ended up tossing all the data and reset the NAS, only ended up with 3 drives as the 4TB still willnot read. 

Thanks, John

Sorry. it would not upload the photos correctly, so I've put a link to my OneDrive folder

Photos on OneDrive 

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

If this is a Windows PC, try opening file explorer and entering \\192.168.5.2 in the address bar.  Make sure you use the correct slash (\\).

Message 11 of 15
johncampanale
Aspirant

I get the following when using \\192.168.5.2 in the Chrome address bar

\\192.168.5.2\\192.168.5.2

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@johncampanale wrote:

I get the following when using \\192.168.5.2 in the Chrome address bar

\\192.168.5.2\\192.168.5.2

Ok.  So these are your shares.  If you put any data into then before, then you should be able to see it if you click on one of these folders.

If not, try clicking on one, and see if you can copy a file to the share and then copy it back.

Message 13 of 15
johncampanale
Aspirant

I can move files into and out of the NAS folders in windows explorer.  

The only thing is that RAIDar says it connot connect to the NAS, but at least I can to move files

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@johncampanale wrote:

The only thing is that RAIDar says it connot connect to the NAS, but at least I can to move files

I don't know what is going on with RAIDar - but if it were working, all it would do is open up file manager and show you the shares -  the same as what you just did manually.  It's at most a small convenience.  

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements