× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume inactive or dead! (RN204)

Rohan28
Aspirant

Volume inactive or dead! (RN204)

Hi

I have a RN204 and it is all of a sudden stating that the Volume is Inactive or Dead. I swapped our one of the volumes and it is still not working. I have a RAID5 setup. Photos below...

If I put the old disk in, all 4 bays are Red. How do I get the volume back? Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 6.05.37 pm.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-05 at 6.15.08 pm.png

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Volume inactive or dead! (RN204)

Hi Rohan28,

Welcome to the Community!

Do you have a backup of your data?

It is possible that one of the disks failed while the new disk was syncing. Can you download the logs and send it to me so we can further check the cause? You may upload it to a file sharing site and then PM me the download link.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
Rohan28
Aspirant

Thank you JohnCM_S. I will PM you shortly with the log files. I only replaced one of the disks after I received those errors. I am hoping that 2 drives havent failed. I dont have a backup as I assumed (right or wrong) that my RAID 5 covered it. Thanks again 

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Rohan28 wrote:

I dont have a backup as I assumed (right or wrong) that my RAID 5 covered it.

Unfortunately RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  You still need backups for that.

Message 4 of 5
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Rohan28,

It seems that the volume was degraded since 12/26. A few reboots were done prior to this problem.

May I know why the NAS was rebooted several times around 12/25?

The logs pulled is was after the problem happened. We cannot determine on the logs what the underlying root cause was.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements