× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Volume lost after attaching external hard drive

Jacobnz
Guide

Volume lost after attaching external hard drive

I had some movies i wanted to copy into one of my share folders, so i attached a usb hard drive to the rear of my unit but the nas did not seem to notice. I restarted my nas and all of a sudden my internal volumes were missing and only the external drive was showing and the system was telling me i have no volumes set up.

My two internal drives are selectable for formatting as though i have just done a factory reset.. can someone help me re assign my volume, i have most my data already on there.

I assume its some kind of hardware conflict when i attached my external, it has somehow dissregarded my internal volumes.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Jacobnz
Guide

Problem solved no thanks to an hour on the phone with customer service..

The naskey wasn't plugged in as I took that usb out to attach my external drive. Such a simple thing took all day to figure out.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Jacobnz,

What's the model numebr of the NAS and FW version? What does it exactly say in the admin page's Volumes?

When remove USB disk that is plugged in to the NAS, safely remove it by using the eject button on the admin page. Do you have backup, just in case?

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you download your logs using RAIDar 6.1 and then send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 3 of 5
Jacobnz
Guide

Problem solved no thanks to an hour on the phone with customer service..

The naskey wasn't plugged in as I took that usb out to attach my external drive. Such a simple thing took all day to figure out.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, you have an encrypted volume. That would explain it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements