× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volumns and Performance tab blank

Kernboy
Aspirant

Volumns and Performance tab blank

The NAS is up,  operational and accessible but for some reason the Volumns and Performance tabs are blank.

I can refresh the page, clear browser cache and even tried different browsers (Firefox,  Chrome, Edge and Opera (from my phone) ) but the pages just don't populate any details.

I've had the unit a few years and had no issues seeing the volumes before, rebooting has made no difference.

It's running 6.10.7, RAIDar shows the unit as Healthy.

Any suggestions? 

I can putty onto the unit if I need to check anything if needed. 

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Volumns and Performance tab blank

@Kernboy

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried doing an OS reinstall? Please see link below, make sure to have a backup of your data. This should not affect data but it is always recommended to do backup before doing anything.

HTH

How to OS-reinstall

Message 2 of 6
Kernboy
Aspirant

Hi Marc,

Thanks, I haven't yet, I was hoping for a different solution.

Just worried I do the reinstall and there's still no tabs and I can't reconfigure the disks to move data back, i'll have bricked the box.

The unit is EOL so I assume I can't purchase extended warranty and open a case ?

Regards

Kevin

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

What model NAS do you have?

@Kernboy wrote:

Just worried I do the reinstall and there's still no tabs and I can't reconfigure the disks to move data back, i'll have bricked the box.

I don't think that's likely.  The OS reinstall just updates the OS on the disks from the flash memory install image, and resets a couple of configuration items:

• admin password changed back to password
  • network configuration reset to DHCP with no bonding
  • volume quota (on the volume settings wheel) turned off.

Note the OS reinstall shouldn't affect your data (but you should make a backup now if you don't already have one).

Are you seeing any signs of a full root in the web ui?  You could check this with putty also.  A full root can result in corrupted configuration files, which can create a number of odd symptoms.  An OS reinstall won't help in this case.

BTW, one alternative is to do a factory reset, and just rebuild the NAS from scratch.  If you have a spare disk, you could do a test run (power down, remove the disks - labeling by slot, install the spare, power up using the boot menu to do the factory reset).  If the NAS works normally, then the flash in the NAS is fine, and it is safe to do the factory reset on the operational disks.

Message 4 of 6
Kernboy
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

It's an RN104 running 6.10.8, the problem's been around for a few upgrades so it wasn't 6.10.8 which caused it.

I'm using 1TB drives in RAID5 so a 3TB disk should cover a copy of the data before attempting anything.

What do you mean when you say "any signs of a full root in the web ui" and how could I check via putty ?

Ya, sorry, I was thinking of the factory reset earlier.

When you mention using a factory reset on a spare disk, does that mean the current RAID conf is based on the existing 4 disks in the unit ?

Could I test a factory reset on a single disk, power it down, reinstall the 4 original disks in the correct order and then start it up, keeping the current data intact ? I assumed a factory reset would wipe any knowledge of the data even if the disks had been removed.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Kernboy wrote:

When you mention using a factory reset on a spare disk, does that mean the current RAID conf is based on the existing 4 disks in the unit ?

Could I test a factory reset on a single disk, power it down, reinstall the 4 original disks in the correct order and then start it up, keeping the current data intact ? I assumed a factory reset would wipe any knowledge of the data even if the disks had been removed.

All the settings for the NAS are stored on the hard drives (as is the NAS software).  So you can remove the disks, and do a fresh install to other disks w/o losing anything.

One caveat is that you do need to be careful about installing different firmware with the test disk installed.  Firmware updates are applied to both the disks and the NAS flash memory.  When you reboot the system with the old disks, the OS will compare the firmware in the flash with the firmware on the disks.  The newest firmware wins:

1. If the flash have older firmware, then the firmware on the disks is applied to the flash
  2. if the disks have older firmware, then the firmware on the disks is upgraded from the flash. 

@Kernboy wrote:

What do you mean when you say "any signs of a full root in the web ui" and how could I check via putty ?

The NAS has a small (4 GB) OS partition on all the disks (mirrored on all of them).  This is the linux root partition.  If that partition gets full, then updates to the NAS configuration files will fail, so you can end up with an inconsistent configuration.  Among other things, that can cause very odd issues in the NAS web ui.  

If you go in with ssh, you can test for this with 

root@RN102:~# cd //

root@RN102://# df . -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0        3.7G  854M  2.7G  25% /

root@RN102://# df . -i
Filesystem      Inodes IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/md0       1048576 14435 1034141    2% /

The output above is from my own RN102.  When you run first df command, you normally see 20-30% used on most ReadyNAS (mine currently has 25%).  The second would normally show that about 2% of the inodes are used.

Let us know what results you are seeing on your RN104.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements