× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD Red 5TB not on compatibility list - why?

OP123
Aspirant

WD Red 5TB not on compatibility list - why?

Hi,

I noticed that most of the Western Digital Red series are listed as compatible with the Netgear ReadyNAS 314 (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 6TB drives). Western Digital also releases a 5TB version of this RED drive.

Is this merely an oversight that the 5TB version does not appear on the compatibility list (perhaps it has just not been tested), or was the 5TB tested and there is a technical reason why is has been excluded from the compatibility list?

A search of Red 5TB on this forum did not reveal any search results, so I've not been able to find the answer here.

Advice / Comments appreciated.

OP123
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: WD Red 5TB not on compatibility list - why?

Netgear hasn't said, but my guess is that they simply didn't test it.
Message 2 of 3
CharlesR
Guide

Re: WD Red 5TB not on compatibility list - why?

OP123 wrote:
A search of Red 5TB on this forum did not reveal any search results, so I've not been able to find the answer here.

I have been using a 5TB Red with the old legacy units with OS 6.x without issue. Now I'm only running a single drive so I can't speak to RAID issues or whatnot. It was also found and appeared to work (great) with OS 4.x. Again without any real testing. B and H Photo had/has them for $199 which is where I got mine.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements