× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD says Caviar Green hard drives are not recommended for RAI

brookhaven
Follower

WD says Caviar Green hard drives are not recommended for RAI

Hello,

I have just purchased a bare ReadyNas NV+ and am looking to buy a couple of hard drives.

The Caviar Green WD10EARS is on the list and looked a good price, however the WD Knowledge Base says that:

"WD Caviar Black, Caviar Green, and Caviar Blue hard drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis..."

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1397/related/1/session/L2F2LzIvdGltZS8xMzE0ODE3NjU3L3NpZC9pdzFtN1hDaw%3D%3D

and also says that:

"WD desktop hard drives (Caviar Black, Green, and Blue) have been tested and are recommended for consumer RAID applications when using the drives in a RAID 0 (Stripe) or RAID 1 (Mirror) configuration.
However, there are several things to keep in mind when setting up a RAID with these drives:
WD only recommends using a Desktop drive in a RAID array with no more than two (2) drives (Raid 0 or Raid 1 only).
WD is unable to provide direct technical support for setting up RAID arrays for either hardware or software arrays."

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/996/related/1/session/L2F2LzMvdGltZS8xMzE0ODE4Mjg4L3NpZC9pdzFtN1hDaw%3D%3D

I would be interested in the panels comments about using these drives or is it better to go for the "RAID (Enterprise) edition drives"?

Many thanks

Eddie
Message 1 of 2
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: WD says Caviar Green hard drives are not recommended for

You found the statement that had been reported on a number of forums, but I was unable to actually find it.

WD drives of recent have caused a lot of trouble with Raid enclosures. Part of it is that they change the internals of drives without changing the model number (memory mfgs are also guilty of this). In the case of the WD Green drives the internal controllers sometimes conflict with the Raid controllers. As a result, I have no WD drives in any of my ReadyNAS units. I have had Samsung, and currently have Seagates and Hitachi drives.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements