× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD10EACS: Huge Load cycle count [ NOT SOLVED] in 4.2.9

DrieStone
Aspirant

Re: WD10EACS: Huge Load cycle count

I too have a WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0 with high Load Cycle Count. I don't even know where I'd get ahold of a PC with SATA as I'm a Mac guy and only have laptops here. I don't suppose I can run the WD util on a drive over USB?
Message 26 of 30
Bigbearf
Aspirant

Re: WD10EACS: Huge Load cycle count

@DrieStone

I am a Mac guy also but it is so much easier to use an old Windoze machine and IDE to SATA adapter to perform the Dos fix. Kind of like using a flat head screwdriver on a phillips head screw. 😄

Hope this helps.
bigbearf
Message 27 of 30
atz6975
Guide

Re: WD10EACS: Huge Load cycle count [SOLVED] in 4.2.9

Hi,
As far as I'm concerned issue is solved in 4.2.9.
As of yesterday my load cycle count is stable (just under 500k !!!) for older WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0 drive. Drives WDC WD10EACS-00D6B0 were never affected and continue to be stable.
So much for accurate release notes...
...but thanks anyway.

ps: when is this available for NV+?
Message 28 of 30
atz6975
Guide

Re: WD10EACS: Huge Load cycle count [ NOT SOLVED] in 4.2.9

Back to not solved.
My fault, I had activity (almost invisible) but as soon as that activity stopped the count went up again...
Message 29 of 30
zvunks
Aspirant

Re: WD10EACS: Huge Load cycle count [ NOT SOLVED] in 4.2.9

Hi, you can download an ISO image with bootable FreeDOS and wdidle3.exe tool on it

http://tibi78.dyndns.org/wordpress/2011/07/wd-load-cycle-count-issue/

... follow the instructions.

I needed to deactivate this future due fact that i'm using several WD Green hard drives on Network Attached Storage, and LCC incresead dramaticaly.
I've tried Blue, Green and Black, 2,5 or 3,5 inch drives, all of them had this problem on linux, and fixed with wdidle3 tool.
If i used the hard drive in an external closer for backups porposes, i used the deafult timer setting.

Backup important data prior using wdidle3 tool!and use it on your own risk.
Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements