× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD20EFRX - WD Red with DUO v1

whytega
Aspirant

WD20EFRX - WD Red with DUO v1

I see some interest in this drive working on the DUO v1 and thought my recent experience could be useful. Other threads reference this topic but are slightly off from the original titles so I hope starting a new post is proper etiquette. If you are a DUO v1 user, are interested in this drive and don't need to purchase urgently it could be worthwhile waiting for the Netgear guys to finish their testing of the WD20EFRX to see if it gets on the HCL.

After a disk failure it was time for a replacement and upgrade to 2TB. I have two backups (one offsite), the mirrored disk and all data can be replicated from other sources so I was not worried at all about my data which is for home use only. A local warehouse stocked the WD Caviar Green WD20EARX, it was on the HCL so off I went. The sales guy warned me about issues with Green drives on a NAS and sold me the new WD20EFRX confirming the WD site shows the ReadyNAS DUO as compatible (no version mentioned). Please no scoffing, but at the time I didn't even know there was a v1 and v2 and didn't even spot this on the HCL (going blind), perhaps WD should amend their site for us numpties.

To sumarise the last 4 days:
--> A couple of weeks ago I had upgraded to RAIDiator 4.1.9 via frontview (it showed there was a new version)
---> Removed the bad disk, backed up all data from the good one (I already had another which is the same but...)
--> Shutdown, inserted the first disk and performed a factory reset. First power up hung, found on forum powering off and on would fix it
--> Format and resync went fine.
--> Added second disk, format and resync went fine.
--> Connected USB backup drive. DUO hung had to power off physically.
--> Resync ran but when complete ran again automatically, restarted with volume scan all ok.
--> Restored approx 360gb data
--> Not happy with previous resync. Ran manually. It went twice again but left it. Finished OK.

Not sure if the double resyncs are normal but apart from that I am impressed. The disks are very quiet, I can't hear them...unlike the old Samsungs. The fan used to run at 2700rpm and now runs at around 1700rpm, it is the stock fan and has made it much more quiet. Access to the data is great from both windows and Mountain Lion.

I did not post this to recomend rushing out to get this disk for a DUO v1 immediately and as mdgm states please use the HCL. But it might encourage you to wait for Netgear as it does look hopeful. I am still a bit uncomfortable with my unsupported disk situation but am not in the warranty period anyway...the double resyncs maybe a concern too. If there are problems perhaps my wife will authorise a "v2" upgrade so not the end of the world, unless I physically trash them.

I have listed the SMART stats from disk one, disk two is similar but 2 degrees cooler. Sorry for the naff formatting. My old Samsungs had numbers all over the place, this to the untrained eye looks pretty good (no LCC's). I searched on the lpstats parameter and it seems to be no issue, indeed when I did a volume scan it seemed to reset this parameter.

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model: WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0
    Serial: <REMOVED BY MODERATOR>
    Firmware: 80.00A80

SMART Attribute

Raw Read Error Rate ------------0
    Spin Up Time ---------------------0
    Start Stop Count -----------------4
    Reallocated Sector Count -------0
    Seek Error Rate ------------------0
    Power On Hours ----------------62
    Spin Retry Count -----------------0
    Calibration Retry Count ---------0
    Power Cycle Count ---------------4
    Power-Off Retract Count -------3
    Load Cycle Count ----------------0
    Temperature Celsius -----------36
    Reallocated Event Count --------0
    Current Pending Sector ----------0
    Offline Uncorrectable ------------0
    UDMA CRC Error Count ----------0
    Multi Zone Error Rate -----------0

ATA Error Count -----------------0

Extended Attribute

Hot-add events ------------------0
    Hot-remove events -------------0
    Lp stat events ----------------161
    Power glitches -------------------0
    Hard disk resets ----------------0
    Retries ---------------------------0
    Repaired sectors ----------------0
Message 1 of 27
Indexmill
Aspirant

Re: WD20EFRX - WD Red with DUO v1

Hi All,

I am in exactly the same situation. I have a DUO (V1) that wore out an old Seagate Pipeline drive. In looking for new disks, I found the new WD Reds and really want to buy a pair of the 2TB but am reluctant since that drive is NOT on the Readynas HCL.

I am very encouraged by reading this post. But the pair of Reds is nearly $300 so I don't want to make a bad decision.

Can anybody comment on the double resyncs reported by the OP?

Has anybody else tried the Reds in the DUO?

Many thanks for comments & feedback.

John.
Message 2 of 27
PapaBear1
Guide

The WD10EFRX is on the list for the NV+ (v1). Why it is not on the list for the Duo I cannot fathom since they have the same hardware. Why the WD20EFRX is not either list I cannot fathom unless they are tied up with other drives right now.
Message 3 of 27
Indexmill
Aspirant

Papa,

Thank you very much for your reply. But, I do not see the WD Red on the official HCL for the NV+. What am I missing.

Has anybody else tried these new Red drives in a DUO (V1)?

Thank you, John.
Message 4 of 27
StephenB
Guru

They are not on the HCL yet, apparently they are being tested.

whytega is running them on his duo (per the signature line above), and there are some folks running the 2 TB version on NV+ (though only the 1TB model is listed)

Though you risk losing support, in my view these are still the best WD drive option for 2 TB. The WD2002FAEX is the only other one I'd consider, and it is quite a bit more expensive.
Message 5 of 27
PapaBear1
Guide

On the NV+ listing, look at the 1TB drives, and the top most 1TB drive is a WD RE4 and the one below that is the WD RED WD10EFRX.
Message 6 of 27
StephenB
Guru

PapaBear wrote:
On the NV+ listing, look at the 1TB drives, and the top most 1TB drive is a WD RE4 and the one below that is the WD RED WD10EFRX.
Yes. But he is looking for 2 TB drives for a duo v1.
Message 7 of 27
Indexmill
Aspirant

Ah yes, PapaBear, now I see the 1 TB Red on the NV+ HCL. I'm so sorry I looked past it the first time. If it on the NV+ HCL, why in the world is it not on the DUO list as they are both SPARC and Radiator 4.1.9?

I really am looking for 2 TB drives for my DUO. Seeing the 1TB Red on the NX+ HCL is a very good indicator that the 2 TB Red will work on the DUO.

I don't really care about loosing access to Netgear for support as I know my DUO works with the original Seagate drive; and we have such awesome support here. 🙂

Looking at the HCL for the DUO, I see the Seagate Barracuda LP model ST2000DL003. It is a 2 TB drive. This model seems plentiful on ebay and even new from Newegg for $119. Is there any reason not to go with this drive to get certain compatibility of a 2 TB drive on my DUO for about $100?

As always, many thanks. John.
Message 8 of 27
whytega
Aspirant

Just in case it's of interest. One month later and all seems to be fine. Now have all 1.4TB of files loaded and the NAS gets fairly regular usage from me and the kids streaming movies, music, looking at photos etc. Stats are identical to my first post with the exception of power on hours (891hrs). Oh and temperature is down to 32 degrees.

Still hoping for it to get on the HCL but must admit compared to the old Samsungs which had ECC and LCC counts always changing this drive seems much better. Well to the untrained eye at least.
Message 9 of 27
addict
Aspirant

Thanks, I'm ordering 2 for my Duo v1. I'm optimistic that they'll work thanks to this forum.

edit: successfully updated/expanded to 2TB without issues. Added the drives while powered-down and didn't have to force resync or anything -just worked!
Message 10 of 27
whytega
Aspirant

I see this drive is now on the HCL, great and post closed I expect. BTW upgrading to 4.1.10 seemed to get rid of my double resync. Must have been something unrelated.

So far this drive has been great compared to my old green drives. I'm not an expert but I really recommend it for the Duo V1 (now its on the hcl)
Message 11 of 27
boathead
Aspirant

Just installed two WD20EFRX drives in my version 1 Duo to replace the single WD20EARS I had . Flawless performance so far! No TLER or WDIDLE fixes needed. XRAID copied from my old drive and expanded with NO PROBLEMS! Load cycles aren't a problem and these drives are running about 5 degrees(Celsius) cooler than the single green. Great job Western Digital.
Message 12 of 27
kbaynes
Aspirant

Boathead, any update on those WD20EFRX? Working OK still?
Message 13 of 27
kbaynes
Aspirant

Whytega, or anyone else who is using this drive... feedback still positive? Thanks, Kevin
Message 14 of 27
whytega
Aspirant

Both drives are still working flawlessly for me. I've had no issues at all so far.
Message 15 of 27
spiracle
Aspirant

Hello whytega,

you posted earlier that the WD20EFRX is on the HCL, but i can't see it !! Are you sure it is the HCL for the DUO v1? can you write the link to the HCL you ment?

thx.
Message 16 of 27
whytega
Aspirant

That's interesting. The HCL pages have been completely redesigned and as you state it doesn't show now. Its a while back now but I am convinced it was on the list at the time on the old page, I am usually very careful before committing to writing a post. But if I am losing my marbles then I apologise to all.

Netgear guys - am I losing my marbles?
Message 17 of 27
spiracle
Aspirant

I called Netgear Team yesterday to have some usefull informations. The guy on the phone said: "since netgear no longer produce Duo products, we can not give any Statements regarding this issue. We can only recommend to follow our published combatibility list"!! In other Words "only discs on the HCL are guaranteed accepted by the device. Installed any other disc type is a matter of gamble!!"

Well. i took this risk and bought two WD20ERFX (exact model description: WD20ERFX-68EUZN0, Frimware 80.00A80, manufactered Oct. 2013), installed them on the bays and inserted the bays in the device, then turned it on: ... after abrox. 15 minutes (boot and resync)......... HURRRRAAAA, the two discs are recognized, redundant and ready to go. :)) 😄 😄 ... I copied all my files and all went fine :thumbsup:

Now to compare:

I first bought two Seagates ST2000DM001 and installed them, but i could not stand that continuously chirping noise (head parking noise), and after i've read about "Cycle-Load" on harddiscs i decided to replace them with Western digital RED devices. NOW: the WDs are really more quiet than the Seagates with less Temp also. BUT: i noticed that the data transfer rate are clearly much lower with the WD discs:

- with 2 ST2000DM001 : PC <--> NAS ca. 30MB/s
- with 2 WD20EFRX : PC <--> NAS ca. 17MB/s

(PC, NAS and Switch are Gigabit diveces) !!!1

Whytega, can you confirm this transfer rate, or is it faster on your side???
Message 18 of 27
harleyknutte
Aspirant

Today I upgraded and expanded my two 500GB drives with two WD20EFRX with no issues. Hot swap one disk at a time (once synchronized) two reboots and everything works! Amazing, thank you Netgear! The local supplier should have a HCL disk in stock but when I got there, it showed that it been replaced by another disk not on the HCL so I decided to try the WD20EFRX, which seems to work. I can warmly recommend it. It worked just like it should!
Message 19 of 27
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm using two WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 without any problems.
Before that I was using two ST31000528AS (firmware CC38), also without problems.
Previously my disks were not 4k-aligned, the new ones are now.
Now, the I/O is much better - but I cannot tell whether this is due to the disks or due to the 4k-alignment.
Message 20 of 27
scootle
Aspirant

Looking to update my parent's Duo v1 and it's pretty frustrating that NAS-dedicated drives like the WD "Red" WDx0EFRX series are not listed in the published HCL.

Given they sound like they work, I'll probably just bite the bullet and go with either a pair of WD10EFRX or WD20EFRX. Based on this thread, they sound like they should be OK.

I tell you, ever since Netgear took over Infrant, support is just not nearly as top-notch quality as it once was. 😞
Message 21 of 27
StephenB
Guru

I've been running with a WD20EFRX in my duo v1 for about 9 months now, and have had no issues. I recommend using NAS purposed drives in ReadyNAS, and I've had good experiences with WDC Reds in particular (I have 10 running in various NAS).

Given that the duo v1's been end-of-life for a while now, it seems unlikely that your parent's unit is still covered by support. So dropping off the HCL is unlikely to have any consequences (and updating the HCL for EOL models is clearly not a priority for Netgear).
Message 22 of 27
scootle
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Given that the duo v1's been end-of-life for a while now, it seems unlikely that your parent's unit is still covered by support. So dropping off the HCL is unlikely to have any consequences (and updating the HCL for EOL models is clearly not a priority for Netgear).

Yeah, but based on this thread, it sounds like they were on one revision of the official HCL before mysteriously disappearing. Ah well, you're right about long off the base support period. 🙂
Message 23 of 27
StephenB
Guru

I think the confusion on this thread was because the WD10EFRX is on the NV+ v1 HCL (but not the duo v1 list). No idea why that is, or why the WD20EFRX isn't on either list.

There could also have been confusion over the v1 and v2 NAS lists.
Message 24 of 27
gbe92
Aspirant

Re: WD20EFRX - WD Red with DUO v1 - works fine

Hi,
I installed WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 today, and it seems to work fine on ReadyNas Duo v1 (with latest Raidiator v 4.1.14).
I created a new volume from scratch. I did a factory reset to ensure the sectors were aligned correctly (instead of expending the existing volume).
Best regards!
Gilles
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements