× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

This is really a required feature

Arwen
Aspirant

Re: Wake up ReadyNas by network ?

Hmmm I have something similar to WOL, (Wake On LAN).

My RN1000S is wired to a Ethernet connected power controller, (which
is then connected to a UPS that Radiator does not like, oh well). They are
50 feet away from my workstations.

In order to power my RN1000S up, I turn on it's A.C. outlet via LAN. (An
"expect" script, or "telnet" to the power controller.) My ReadyNAS comes
up fine.

To shutdown the ReadyNAS, I have to use Infrant's Web GUI to shut it
down gracefully. When down, I turn off the outlet.

All without leaving my workstations.

I would dearly love to have a, (secure), method of shutting down my ReadyNAS
without having to use a Web GUI. Something sciptable. I know I can eventually
script Web GUIs... just too lazy right now.
Message 26 of 59
thebigphil
Aspirant

Unfortunately this won't work on the ReadyNAS NV...
Message 27 of 59
Minok
Aspirant

This is really a required feature

I'm also in the market for a NAS.
My intent is to use it for backup in a home network.

I don't want it pulling power 24/7/365 when its only needed a tiny fraction of the time.

I want my backup software, on my clients (desktops and laptops) to cause the NAS to wake up over the network. They then perform thier backup job (or whatever), and after an 15 minutes or so of inactivity (or some resonable amount, maybe 1 hr - user configurable) the NAS goes back to sleep on its own.

Ideally you can set it up so it works with ANY software - just the act of getting IP activity directed at it could wake it up. But at least a WOL feature, and a timeout sleep would be required.

A sleep mode is sufficient - a total shutdown (where WOL is needed) is not required. I'll be glad if it just sleeps and can respond reasonably quickly to new IP activity... so not a full WOL but a 'wake up from sleep when IP activity comes in".

There is no need to have the fans blowing and everything powered up all the time.

This feature really should be included in the product already... I'm not sure why the designers have not added it yet.
Message 28 of 59
nils_heidorn
Aspirant

Rev B Board ?!

Hi !

Cool electronics to make Rev A get WOL support, is it similar to Rev B, or is it a different DIagram for Rev B ?
Which Transistor to use ?!

Thanks & Greetings,

Nils
Message 29 of 59
Signal64
Aspirant

Would prefer to have the NAS go into a sleep/standby mode (fans and drives off) when not in use and startup when it is being accessed.
Message 30 of 59
glam
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:
WOL cannot be supported on current platforms due to hardware limitation. We will consider this feature for future products.
Is the true for the NV+ as well (which I think wasn't out yet when yoh-dah wrote the message above)?
Message 31 of 59
yoh-dah
Guide

glam wrote:
yoh-dah wrote:
WOL cannot be supported on current platforms due to hardware limitation. We will consider this feature for future products.
Is the true for the NV+ as well (which I think wasn't out yet when yoh-dah wrote the message above)?

NV+ will not support WOL.
Message 32 of 59
nils_heidorn
Aspirant

@c3po:

COuld you comment on my previous Question: could this work for Rev. B without a change ?!

Thx !

Nils
Message 33 of 59
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

nils_heidorn wrote:
@c3po:

COuld you comment on my previous Question: could this work for Rev. B without a change ?!

Thx !

Nils

If you have Rev B ReadyNAS 600/X6, the WOL hardware add-on works
same way as Rev A ReadyNAS 600/X6, but the power switch pin location
is different. Basically, ReadyNAS PCI slot provides NIC card standby
power, the NIC generates WOL pulse to power button(effectively same
as button pressed, the tricky part is to find right shape of pulse: momentary
pull down the switch pin) Without PCI bus(ReadyNAS NV/NV+), WOL is not
doable as Yoh-dah mentioned.
Message 34 of 59
nils_heidorn
Aspirant

Hi !

could you give a hint where the power switch pin is, or is it easy to find if i open it up and look for it ?

😉

Thanks for helping !!!!!!

Nils
Message 35 of 59
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

nils_heidorn wrote:
Hi !

could you give a hint where the power switch pin is, or is it easy to find if i open it up and look for it ?

😉

Thanks for helping !!!!!!

Nils

For Rev B ReadyNAS 600/X6, Power switch pin is pin 7 of J23(Located
at left front corner, please note how pin is numbered, pin 6 is keyed.
Pin 7 is the pin left to "3" of label "J23", Pin 9 is ground, you way want to
use beep to verify) Pin 7 is pulled up by 2.2KOhm to standby 5V, if WOL
pulse temporary(Can not hold it longer than 5 seconds) pull it down,
main power will turn on.
(Connect WOL pulse correctly to Pin 7 and 9, you may need to invert the
pulse depends on polarity of the pulse. Now you are on your own to have
fun and absolutely no warranty 😛 )

Someone made this :lol: It should work with any ReadyNAS as long as
you know how to hook the WOL cable to power button
http://www.hackaday.com/2006/10/23/wake-on-lan-network-tester
You do not need batteries. All you need to do is bring out 3 wires from
ReadyNAS to NIC's WOL connector(AUX5V, GND, WOL to power switch)
this also solves the problem for those complain NV stays off after power outrage 😎
For more information on WOL connector:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic8682.html
Message 36 of 59
Vince1
Aspirant

Sorry for pulling up this old thread, but this is still proving to be a problem for my clients. They have all of their music and media stored on their ReadyNAS NV and it turns off on them every once in a while and we get a call that their system is not working (can't play music).

I have all kinds of monitoring gear, remote accessible power switches, and scripts setup to keep everything else running 24/7 but if a readynas goes down there is nothing I can do other than to tell the client to climb into their rack and press the power button to get it back online.

Which (if any) of your new or upcoming NAS devices will support WOL?
Message 37 of 59
mhernie
Aspirant

WOL feature request

<<BUMP>>

Which (if any) of your new or upcoming NAS devices will support WOL? This is a key feature for us and our clients and is becoming a deal breaker using ReadyNAS going forward. Please advise what is the status of this feature in current or upcoming firmware or hardware releases. Thanks!
Message 38 of 59
Codeq
Aspirant

Is there also the ability to behave like the Maxtor Shared Storage 2?

There it is possible to automaticly power down (or sleepmode?) the device after a configureable idletime. And the device will wake up by itself if any request over the enabled services will be called like http,smb.

For example:
Try to reach the device via smb, while its powerd down, and it'll wake up automaticly. To get the service responding you have to wait a short time. but it seems to be much shorter than the complete booting process.
Message 39 of 59
bhoar
Aspirant

You can get halfway there: you can configure the disks to sleep when the unit isn't being used.

-brendan
Message 40 of 59
XLION
Aspirant

WOL++
Message 41 of 59
rolf_ziegler
Aspirant

Weak-up from Lan

Just bought an NV+ Reasynas and also missing the feature to put the box in sleep-mode. Wonder how we can let the box run all day with such a noisy ventilator.

If WOL is not possible, would it be possible to switch off the ventilator when no activity os going one ? That would at least help to let the NAS work all time.

BR
Rolf
Message 42 of 59
yoh-dah
Guide

Re: Weak-up from Lan

rolf_ziegler wrote:
Just bought an NV+ Reasynas and also missing the feature to put the box in sleep-mode. Wonder how we can let the box run all day with such a noisy ventilator.

If WOL is not possible, would it be possible to switch off the ventilator when no activity os going one ? That would at least help to let the NAS work all time.

BR
Rolf

You can spin-down your disks to lower the fan speed to minimum.
Message 43 of 59
terpstra
Aspirant

Can the NV be set to startup when power is restored?

If so, there are lots of devices you can use over a network to cut and restore power to it.
Message 44 of 59
RussGrover
Aspirant

It wouldn't be hard to do a wake on lan either
NIC and bios support is all you need.

-rg
Message 45 of 59
Vince1
Aspirant

If we wanted to hook up some network connected relays to the power switch of the NV+ what would be the best place to start? On the motherboard? On the power switch itself?

The goal is to be able to turn on a Readynas remotely after extended power outage. None of the currently shipping ReadyNAS units support this functionality via WOL.

Thanks,
-Vince
Message 46 of 59
Keith_Beef
Aspirant

Give us Wake On Lan, please!

I recently bought a ReadyNAS NV+.

It took me a while to get it installed and working, but now it seems to be doing just fine.

The NAS sits in the basement, with a Netgear wireless router/DSL modem, base station for the wireless phone and my main computer; all those are hooked up to a big (for domestic use) UPS. Up in the living room is a Vaio UMPC connected to our stereo and a MacBook. I had been mounting the NAS disc as an SMB share to play music through the Vaio amplified by the stereo.

Then I bought a Logitech Squeezebox, so I installed Squeezecenter on the NAS, and it now streams our music collection up to the Squeezebox, which is much easier to carry from room to room or out into the garden.

I've set the NAS to turn on at 18h00 each weekday, and turn off again at 03h00 so it's available when I get home from work until after I've gone to sleep, but it would be great to be able to use WOL to turn on the NAS, instead.

With the set-up as it is now, the NAS is on every day, probably used about 50% of the time. I'd rather have it off by default, and be able to wake it up as and when I want, saving on power and hours of disc usage.
Message 47 of 59
chirpa
Luminary

The NV+ does not support Wake-on-LAN, hardware limitation.
Message 48 of 59
Keith_Beef
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
The NV+ does not support Wake-on-LAN, hardware limitation.

Boo Hiss

OK, I can live without it, but when just about every x86 architecture board from $50 and up has WOL, I think it's a bit short-sighted to have left it out of the NV+ hardware.

I suppose a workaround would be to use the WOL on the main computer; then when that computer is awake, use it to control the robot arm to pick up a piece of dowel and poke the power switch on the NV+, then power down the computer. 😉

K.
Message 49 of 59
chirpa
Luminary

Keith_Beef wrote:
OK, I can live without it, but when just about every x86 architecture board from $50 and up has WOL
The NV+ is custom Sparc hardware. The ReadyNAS Pro, which is x86 based, does support WOL.
Message 50 of 59
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements