× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Warning Message...

bkxit
Tutor

Warning Message...

Nov 21, 2019 08:00:18 AM

Volume: System volume root's usage is 81%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

Hi All.

Just had this alert message .. anybody any ideas what to do next ??

I dont think i have any tech support apart from the original 90 day thats expired.

F/W 6.10.2

Any help would be appreciated

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Warning Message...

@bkxit wrote:

Do i need to be looking in another dir that possibly has the offending build up of files ?

how would i look at the dir of the sys volume to see whats in there and what size ?

Try the steps here for plex:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-214-System-Volume-root-useage-9...

While you have the OS partition remounted, you should also look in /mnt/media.  Look for files in the USB_HDD* folders there - the ones in /mnt should be empty.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 15

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bkxit

Welcome to the Community!

That warning message appears when your ReadyNAS System Volume capacity reaches 80% and up. This means that an app installed or logs that uses your System volume is filling up the space and this is not normal since the app or logs should not be using the System volume.

I would suggest contacting Support through my.netgear.com so they can assist you on getting this corrected. You will have to purchase a contract if your 90 days support is expired.

Otherwise, accessing the NAS through SSH and removing the files filling up the space is another resolution. This will need you to be comfortable using it.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 15
bkxit
Tutor

Hi Marc.

Many thanks for the quick reply............  Sorry to show a bit of ignorance here,

So the System volume , Thats not the free disc space then ?

I have 1.47tb data and 2.16 Free.

so to my thinking i have enough free disc space ???

I have just cleared the system logs and im running scrug defrag and ballance.

Is the sys volume a specific area of the storage ???

Again thanks for your helpfull reply..

Best Wishes John..

Message 3 of 15
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bkxit

Yes Data volume is different from System root volume.

System is actually 4GB in size. Unfortunately, clearing the system logs and or running volume maintenance may not affect the system volume since it is actually targeting the data volume.

It is really advisable to contact Support for proper assistance or use the Community guide on clearing up System root volume but only if you are comfortable using SSH.

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

It is really advisable to contact Support for proper assistance or use the Community guide on clearing up System root volume but only if you are comfortable using SSH.

I agree.  If you aren't already familiar with linux commands, you should use support.  Ask for per-incident support.  Don't purchase the gearhead support - it's not what you want for this.

Message 5 of 15
bkxit
Tutor

Hi All.

many thanks for the info..........  Im not too familar with SSH and have looked at the community advice and think you

are possibly correct in getting support help...

So is this a new problem thats occured with a firmware update ?

Ive had my NAS for several years now with no problems before, or is it the fact that its been several years ??

I would have thaught these Temp files would be deleted by the system in order to prevent this becoming a problem

Cheers to All...

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@bkxit wrote:

The threshold for the error is 80%.  It's likely that the files have been building up for some time.

The ReadyNAS does clean up some files, but sometimes logs can still build up.  Also, some apps will use OS partition space incorrectly.  Plex for example will sometimes leave behind temporary files when it does real-time transcoding.  The NAS application doesn't try to remove those (since it didn't put them there, and has no idea what they are).  There are a couple of other common causes.

Support can easily fix this.  But if you wait too long, the NAS can misbehave, and eventually it will fail to boot.  So it's best to take care of it now.

Message 7 of 15
bkxit
Tutor

Hi All.

Ok ........Had a quick look via SSH following others instructions ,

Expected to see the temp files in var/lib/clamav is -lah.  

But ........... nothing there.

See screenshot attached.

i have plex installed on the NAS .with a large libary

Do i need to be looking in another dir that possibly has the offending build up of files ?

how would i look at the dir of the sys volume to see whats in there and what size ?

before i call support .

Thanks all..

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@bkxit wrote:

Try the steps here for plex:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-214-System-Volume-root-useage-9...

While you have the OS partition remounted, you should also look in /mnt/media.  Look for files in the USB_HDD* folders there - the ones in /mnt should be empty.

Message 9 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

@bkxit wrote:

Ive had my NAS for several years now with no problems before, or is it the fact that its been several years ??

A firmware update can be the "tipping point", as the downloaded update is stored in the root partition, but it's not the root cause.  Sounds like you are on the right track to finding the files that are filling the partition.  But what you really need is a solution to eliminate their creation.  If it's PLEX, I have not seen one.  But, perhaps, a directory on the OS partition needs to be replaced with a symbolic link to one in  the apps directory.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote: If it's PLEX, I have not seen one.  

The Plex  package for ReadyNAS does use /apps for the library, etc. 

But sometimes it leaves behind chunk*.m4s files in the root partition.  It's safe to simply delete these.  Per some posts in the plex forum, they apparently are left when transcoding is aborted or fails.  Why they are in the root partition in the first place is unknown.

This isn't unique to the ReadyNAS package, it's been reported with other NAS and also the Windows server.

Message 11 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

But sometimes it leaves behind chunk*.m4s files in the root partition.  It's safe to simply delete these.  Per some posts in the plex forum, they apparently are left when transcoding is aborted or fails.  Why they are in the root partition in the first place is unknown.

This isn't unique to the ReadyNAS package, it's been reported with other NAS and also the Windows server.

So, are they always in the same directory, and is that directory uniquely used by PLEX?  If both answers are "yes", then it should be possible to also move their creation to /apps.  Of course, PLEX should do that on its own and should also clean up after itself..

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote: So, are they always in the same directory, and is that directory uniquely used by PLEX?  If both answers are "yes", then it should be possible to also move their creation to /apps.  Of course, PLEX should do that on its own and should also clean up after itself..

Clearly plex should clean them up.  But let's see if this it really the issue here, and get rid of any of these files.

Message 13 of 15
bkxit
Tutor

Stephen...........

You total HERO !!!!!!!  thank you so much for your help it was full fo .m4s files.

sucessfuly deleted, also there were a lot of numbered chunk files ..............i deleted these also.

The sys volume is now down to1.2gb

Do you think these files are created every time you use Plex ?

Or possibly not shutting it down properly ?

It seems  impossible to contact Netgear to ask about support....... you just get directed to the support portal and told to purchase Gearhead support package.  this seems to be the only option.

Thanks for your patience and help, it was no where near as daunting as i thaught .

best wishes............   john.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@bkxit wrote:

Do you think these files are created every time you use Plex ?

No, I think they likely are only created when the transcoding fails or is aborted. 

It is worth checking for them every now and then.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements