× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What Is The Current Maxiumum Storage Capacity Of ReadyNAS 628X?

XrayDoc88
Guide

What Is The Current Maxiumum Storage Capacity Of ReadyNAS 628X?

Netgear hasn't updated printed specifications for ReadyNAS units since 10 TB hard drives were the largest available.  If you look at the current description of the 628X they say the maximum storage is 80 TB, i.e. 10 x 8.  Now that there are 16 TB drives available, do you think the 628X can support 16 x 8 storage capacity, or is it really stuck at 80?  Thanks!

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: What Is The Current Maxiumum Storage Capacity Of ReadyNAS 628X?

The limit for OS6 is beyond what will likely ever be available while a ReadyNAS is still a viable option.  For CPU and RAM limited systems, there may be a practical limit where thngs slow down too much.  But for your 628X, 16TB x 8 should work fine.

Note that I recommend you only install as much as you need.  Besides the fact that 16TB drives will likely drop in price when 20TB's come out, you run a risk of nearly simultaneous drive failure with drives all purchased and installed at the same time.  Plus, by the time you need them, you might want even larger drives.

In calculating your needs, remember that XRAID will automatically convert to RAID6 after 6 drives.  You may even want RAID6 before that.  To keep XRAID from deciding which to use, you need to switch XRAID off, then you have control.

Message 2 of 5
XrayDoc88
Guide

I currently have 6 drives in X RAID.  I don't really need to add any more drives currently for extra storage.  When that becomes necessary however, drive 7 will turn on RAID 6?  Will I lose my current data, or will it auto migrate saving my data?  Then I guess I'd have to add drive 8 to actually increase total storage space.

Another question:  All my drives are currently 12 TB.  When purchasing new drives is it OK to add a 16 TB drive?  I assume the RAID array would only use 12 TB. But down the line it might be nice to gradually purchase larger drives for future arrays.

Message 3 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@XrayDoc88

If you are in RAID5 on your 6 disk XRAID configuration then yes it will change to RAID6 once the 7th drive is added. No data loss the array will sync automatically but you are right that you need to add the 8th drive in order to have an increase to the capacity.

It is fine to add a larger capacity drive, you will then have to replace 2 more drives to the same capacity you added in order for the unused capacity to be added if you have added a larger capacity drive.

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Personally I'm keeping two empty slots in my RN526x.  That gives me the option of adding two SSDs - either for ReadyTier or as an independent volume for data where I want higher-performance access.

As far as RAID-6 goes, I do think that is reasonable especially if you have 7-8 drives in the array.  Restoring a massive volume takes a while - especially if your backup NAS is in a remote location.  RAID-6 reduces the odds of volume loss (though of course it also doubles the RAID overhead).

I am using RAID-5 myself, but my backup NAS is on-site, and I can immediately switch to it if the main NAS fails.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements