× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What is ReadyNAS 214 doing when backup button LED is flashing?

strykeroz
Tutor

What is ReadyNAS 214 doing when backup button LED is flashing?

Hi guys

This doesn't appear to be covered in the user manual.  But apologies in advance if it's there and I'm missing it. 

Today my ReadyNAS214 wasn't presenting an admin page and was showing offline in the ReadyCLOUD client, its power light was on with all 4 drive lights on, but as long as I watched the drive activity light wasn't lit.  

Since I couldn't find any info on what that LED pattern meant I cycled the power and it booted fine, and the backup light is now out.  There's nothing in the log to indicate something was wrong and there's no email alerts either.  It's not half a day since the most recent daily backup to USB and the weekly snapshots were done yesterday.

Is the backup light flashing a sign something was amiss?

Thanks, Geoff

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage, RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@strykeroz wrote:

its power light was on with all 4 drive lights on, but as long as I watched the drive activity light wasn't lit.  

Since I couldn't find any info on what that LED pattern meant

Page 57 of the user manual says this pattern is normal.  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

@strykeroz wrote:

I'm confused here, since this is the first mention of the backup light flashing.  Was it flashing before you rebooted?

Message 2 of 8
strykeroz
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@strykeroz wrote:

I'm confused here, since this is the first mention of the backup light flashing.  Was it flashing before you rebooted?

It's the first mention, if you ignore my subject...but I can see how I could have asked that better. Smiley Wink

Yes. It was flashing originally, along with the other lights as described and the device appearing offline.  Rebooting, the flashing backup button LED was extinguished and there's no hint of what was going on in the logs etc.

Does the backup LED flashing mean anything that might lead to an expanation why this ReadyNAS stops presenting its admin login page and appearing offline?

Thanks, Geoff

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@strykeroz wrote:

Does the backup LED flashing mean anything that might lead to an expanation why this ReadyNAS stops presenting its admin login page and appearing offline?

I don't know if it's related to that - hopefully @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V can comment.

Message 4 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @strykeroz

Usually the backup LED blinks if there's a job running. Do you have any job that you have assigned when the backup button is pushed? Did you notice if you have pushed the button after the reboot? It is also possible that the backup ran before this happened did not complete properly.

We need to check the full logs can you send it through PM? Also, what does the LCD show?

Kindly try pushing the power button 1 time during boot time when the progress bar show up and let me know of the status it showed.

Regards

Message 5 of 8
strykeroz
Tutor

Thanks for progressing this Marc

I don't have any jobs assigned to the button, and I have not touched the device prior to finding it unresponsive (on booting my PC it showed as offline so that's why I had a look).

There was nothing showing on the LCD at the time, and pressing the power button didn't change this so I cycled the power by removing the plug.

I should add since this happened and I posted, the RN214 is once again functioning fine.  It's not the first time it's done this however.

I'll send you the log later tonight.

Cheers, Geoff

Message 6 of 8
strykeroz
Tutor

FWIW the ReadyNAS is again showing as offline and not presenting the login screen.  I ran a network scan and found host ReadyNAS.local's IP however using that IP address PuTTY is unable to get it to present a login prompt on SSH either.

This time backup button LED is not flashing.  1,2,3,4 are all green and power is lit.  Pressing the power button does not result in anything showing on the LCD - the LCD backlight does not come on.  Activity LED doesn't appear to be doing anything however on the rear the activity LED is flashing on the active ethernet port.

I have left it this way in case there are further debugging steps possible you require me to follow.

Geoff

Message 7 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@strykeroz

Kindly refrain from posting your logs publicly, will you be able to send me the logs through PM using Google drive? What is the Status no RAIDar?

Many thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements