× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is supported

aaseef021
Aspirant

What is supported

I had a couple of questions, please answer them

1. My ReadyNas is on Firmware 6.10.2, is Debian 9 or 10 supported, if not what do I need to do to get it to work with Debian 9 or 10

2. My mono version is 3.2, how can I easily update to the latest version of mono, I followed the guide on mono website but I didn't understand it. Please help me with this

Thank You

Model: RN51661D|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay 6x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: What is supported

If your OS is up to date, it's already Debian 9.  Other than that, I will simply repeat myself:  You can count on nothing still working if you update Debian on the NAS.

I don't klnow how much more clear I can be.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Firmwate 6.10.2 is Debian 9 based.  You cannot update the Debian base of the firmware and retain the NAS capabilities.  You should be able to update mono with apt-get update && apt-get upgrade mono.  It is not recommended to do a global apt-get upgrade.

Message 2 of 6
aaseef021
Aspirant

Hi 

Thank you for the answers, I had couple more questions if you can answer please. Thank you

1. If I were to update to Debian 9, what are some of the NAS capabilities that will not work?

2. In the future do you plan to have a firmware that support Debian 9 and 10 and retain the NAS capabilities?

3. What version of Mono will this command install? apt-get update && apt-get upgrade mono

4. What is the latest version of Mono that is supported with Debian 8? and how can I install the latest version of Mono on Debian 8?

5. Can I upgrade Debian to Ubuntu? Will this work and retain the NAS capabilities?

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

You can count on nothing still working if you update Debian on the NAS.  There are executables that are compiled under the distro included that may or may not continue to work.

Don't count me in on the "you" for any updates.  I don't now, nor have I ever, worked for Netgear.  Just as they migrated from Debian 8 to 9 once 9 was stable, I expect they will migrate to 10.  But there is no rush.  Debian 9 is still in standard support into 2020 and long term support till June 2022.  IMHO, Netgear already rushs some changes out too quickly and later finds bugs.  I would certainly want them to do very thorough testing of a Debian 10 based OS before rolling it out.  Debian 10 has only been released for a few months!

I don't understand what you mean by "a firmware that supports Debian 9 and 10".  The OS, as it is, supports Debian 9 or 10 based computers -- they can access it just fine.  The firmware itself is a version of Debian 9, plus proprietary software.

The command will install whatever the latest version of Mono is for Debian 9.  But here is something to be mindful of:  That's a very basic Debian command string.  If you didn't already know the answer to that, you shouldn't be doing it.  And you certainly shouldn't be contemplating upgrading the OS yourself.

You cannot update the OS to anything not provided by Netgear and expect to retain the NAS capabilities.  And I have no idea why you would want to, anyway.

Message 4 of 6
aaseef021
Aspirant

If I update to Debian 9 or 10 will I retain the ReadyNAS UI and functionality?

If so how do I upgrade to Debian 9 and 10, which versions do you recommend

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If your OS is up to date, it's already Debian 9.  Other than that, I will simply repeat myself:  You can count on nothing still working if you update Debian on the NAS.

I don't klnow how much more clear I can be.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements