× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What's the fan type/size for the Readynas Pro?

bobbyt1
Aspirant

What's the fan type/size for the Readynas Pro?

The cpu fan on my readynas pro is making a ticking noise (which others have reported) I'd like to replace this fan with one of the many you can buy online. What size is it and what type of connector? (3 pin?) is there a maximum thickness?
Message 1 of 36
vrwschaa
Aspirant

Re: What's the fan type/size for the Readynas Pro?

The size of the fans is 80mm x 80mm x 15mm (height). The height is important because the fan is placed on plastic pins and hold by hooks. The hooks just leave 15mm.I checked this and it is wrong. The hooks leave ~5mm, therefore the rim of the fan must max 5 mm. See my next message.

There are two fans in use for the Pro. One has 4 wires, the other one I found has 3 wires .

I found the following products:
Producer              Everflow             SmartCooler
Noise 38 dBA 12-28 dbA
speed of rotation 4200 rpm
Voltage 12V/0.50 AMP/6 Watt 12V/1.68 W
Size ca. 80 x 80 x 15 mm ca. 80 x 80 x 15 mm
Model R128015SU LFM1380H/B000NPAC28
Connector 3-pin Molex 3-pin
Air Flow CFM 47m³/min 1.33 42,0 m³/h
Price 7,79 Euro 13,95 Euro

There might be the need to connect the 3 wire fan differently from the 4 wire fan (I/O board instead of main board) and apply the "ToggleSwitchProCPUFan_1.0-x86" patch.
Message 2 of 36
95prelude
Aspirant

I have replaced both the fans in the RNPP. Noctua NF-R8 for the cpu fan and it's VERY quiet. It just snaps in perfectly and the side panel gives no problems whatsoever. I replaced the exhaust fan with a Noctua NF-P12. It gives better cooling temperature and its VERY quiet. The colour scheme on fans are very professional. I love it. Also all the fans in my desktop are Noctua's.
Message 3 of 36
vrwschaa
Aspirant

I've to correct my entry of 16 Mar 2010 00:12.

I found that the hooks just keep the fan's rim. The hooks leave ~5mm, therefore the rim of the fan has to be max 5 mm.
Message 4 of 36
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

95prelude wrote:
I have replaced both the fans in the RNPP. Noctua NF-R8 for the cpu fan and it's VERY quiet. It just snaps in perfectly and the side panel gives no problems whatsoever.

That's interesting as I had assumed only 15mm fans could be used.

Since the NF-R8 is a 3-pin fan, do you have "ToggleSwitchProCPUFan_1.0-x86.bin" installed so that it shows the RPM? How fast does it run?
Message 5 of 36
95prelude
Aspirant

MikeMcr wrote:
95prelude wrote:
I have replaced both the fans in the RNPP. Noctua NF-R8 for the cpu fan and it's VERY quiet. It just snaps in perfectly and the side panel gives no problems whatsoever.

That's interesting as I had assumed only 15mm fans could be used.

Since the NF-R8 is a 3-pin fan, do you have "ToggleSwitchProCPUFan_1.0-x86.bin" installed so that it shows the RPM? How fast does it run?

Yes, I did install "ToggleSwitchProCPUFan_1.0-x86.bin". CPU fan spins around 1350-1400 RPM. DBA is the spec on the fan so it's very quiet. I did not use the low speed resistors that came with the fan. I placed the Readynas is my closet and now I can't hear the dam thing when I'm sleeping. It's been 3 month now that I had both the fans replaced and temps are good.
Message 6 of 36
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

95prelude wrote:
Yes, I did install "ToggleSwitchProCPUFan_1.0-x86.bin". CPU fan spins around 1350-1400 RPM. DBA is the spec on the fan so it's very quiet. I did not use the low speed resistors that came with the fan. I placed the Readynas is my closet and now I can't hear the dam thing when I'm sleeping. It's been 3 month now that I had both the fans replaced and temps are good.

Thanks, I will give them a try. I had previously replaced the CPU fan with an Evercool EC8015TH12B but the reduced RPM (and increased heat) caused the big exhaust fan to constantly ramp up and down which was very annoying!
Message 7 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip, 95prelude.

I changed both fans to the suggested Noctuna types. The NF-P12 works like a charm, the Noctua NF-R8 too. But I have one problem with the NF-R8. The side panel doesn't fit anymore. It is for me 2-3mm to high. I have the ReadyNass Pro Pioneer Edition is there a difference? Or did you made some extra changes?
Message 8 of 36
95prelude
Aspirant

Tomdc wrote:

I changed both fans to the suggested Noctuna types. The NF-P12 works like a charm, the Noctua NF-R8 too. But I have one problem with the NF-R8. The side panel doesn't fit anymore. It is for me 2-3mm to high. I have the ReadyNass Pro Pioneer Edition is there a difference? Or did you made some extra changes?

The side panel will fit without any modifications. I do have the RNPP.
Message 9 of 36
jerryk1
Aspirant

Tomdc wrote:

I also found the Notuna MF-R8 too thick for my Pro BE. You definitely do not want the fan touching the side panel. I think you need a 15mm fan.
Message 10 of 36
mrfreeze
Aspirant

I also found the Noctuna fans o be very quite, and also provide cooler temperatures.

The problem I have is as mentioned above, the side panel will not fit back on properly as the fan is thicker (25mm) than the standard fan (15mm) installed.
Message 11 of 36
TechZ1
Aspirant

@95prelude

I'm about to replace the case fan on my RNPP, but from what I've read through this thread, isnt the size 80x80x15, the NF-P12 is a 120mm model.
Message 12 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

tsuplex wrote:

- The Pro definitive guide lists a 120mm chassis fan and a 90mm CPU fan.
Message 13 of 36
95prelude
Aspirant

TechZ wrote:
@95prelude

I'm about to replace the case fan on my RNPP, but from what I've read through this thread, isnt the size 80x80x15, the NF-P12 is a 120mm model.

It does touch the side panel a little bit. After awhile it does not touch the panel anymore. I've taken my panel on and off a good 5 times now. It clears it without touching the fan anymore.
Message 14 of 36
PapaBear1
Guide

TechZ wrote:
@95prelude

The case fan is the large fan on the rear and is I believe a 120mm fan. The fan on the side is the CPU cooler and some say it is 80mm and some say 90mm. It may actually vary depending on if the CPU heat exchanger/fan combo has been changed in the course of it's production.
Message 15 of 36
TechZ1
Aspirant

Found this, thought to share. Zalman also make a model in the 80x80x15mm range. Though not for CPU or PC cooling, its a GPU fan.

link

Dimensions: 80(L) x 80(W) x 15(H) mm
Weight: 75g
Bearing Type: 2 Ball-Bearing

Further specs:

Message 16 of 36
TechZ1
Aspirant

I picked the above Zalman as my replacement for the stock CPU fan, is it recommended to keep the "ToggleSwitchProCPUFan_1.0-x86.bin" fix from Netgear, as this was specifically for their design fault with the stock CPU fan.
Message 17 of 36
TechZ1
Aspirant

Successfully swapped the fans on my RNPP:

Case fan - Noctua NF-P12
CPU fan - Zalman ZM-OP1

I connected both fans directly, without any of the supplied voltage mods to change the fan speed. Both were perfect fits for the RNPP.

My only concern is the slow spin of the case fan, causing my HDD temps to rise quite a bit.

Before I swapped the fans, did a thorough clean of the case (lots of dust buildup)

After both fans swapped, case cleaned and fan Re-calibrated.

Message 18 of 36
amcfarla
Aspirant

TechZ wrote:
Successfully swapped the fans on my RNPP:

Case fan - Noctua NF-P12
CPU fan - Zalman ZM-OP1

I connected both fans directly, without any of the supplied voltage mods to change the fan speed. Both were perfect fits for the RNPP.

My only concern is the slow spin of the case fan, causing my HDD temps to rise quite a bit.

Before I swapped the fans, did a thorough clean of the case (lots of dust buildup)

After both fans swapped, case cleaned and fan Re-calibrated.

So did this drop the noise volume down of your readynas pro after changing the fans out to these models? The problem I have is my readynas is the loudest thing in my room and I would love to be able to quiet the thing down(and yes I have changed were the cpu fan is plugged into since it was insane loud before that).
Message 19 of 36
TechZ1
Aspirant

amcfarla wrote:
So did this drop the noise volume down of your readynas pro after changing the fans out to these models? The problem I have is my readynas is the loudest thing in my room and I would love to be able to quiet the thing down(and yes I have changed were the cpu fan is plugged into since it was insane loud before that).

To be fair mine has always been quiet, I sit about 3m away from it and can hardly hear it. But yeah, these new fans are quite good and superbly easy to replace. Netgear did a brilliant job of making it all accessible.
Message 20 of 36
amcfarla
Aspirant

Well I figured out why my fans were so loud. I received one of the units that had the fan plugged into the wrong port, (http://www.readynas.com/?p=1912) and I did switch it when I got the device(since it was insane loud before that). I did install the " ToggleSwitchProCPUFan" add-on when I moved the power connector(for some reason it must not installed correctly since the CPU fan showed 0 rpm on the health tab). After installing the plugin tonight now it shows my cpu fan at the correct rpm(1757 rpm at the moment) and it is much quieter, almost night and day.
Message 21 of 36
gregb_pro
Aspirant

TechZ wrote:

> Successfully swapped the fans on my RNPP:
> [ ]
> My only concern is the slow spin of the case fan, causing my HDD temps to rise quite a bit.
> Before I swapped the fans, did a thorough clean of the case (lots of dust buildup)

Although perhaps quieter, this swap results in the opposite of the desired cooling effect: the HDD temperatures increased 7 to 9 deg C (~ 10 deg C is a significant increase). This is presumably due to lower air mass flow because the system fan is running at a lower RPM (assuming similar air flow efficiency of the two fans). Oddly, the system temperature appears to drop 12 deg C after the fan swap (where is the system temperature sensor located?).

The swap was performed in March 2011. What is the noise and temperature experience after 2 months with the new fans? Is this configuration expected to be stable during the summer months?
Message 22 of 36
GMulford
Aspirant

So does the Noctua NF-R8 fit in with out any modifications, some people say they couldn't get the side on and others say it fitted in fine? my cpu fan has started to make an annoying noise so looking for a replacement.
Message 23 of 36
marcusp
Tutor

For the CPU fan I've found this product:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-047-NB
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16392/fan-1017/Noiseblocker_NB-BlackSilentPro_PC-P_80mm_x_15mm_Ultra_Silent_PWM_Fan_-_2500_RPM.html?tl=g36c365s984#blank

It seems to be a great product with 6 years warranty and very good bearing.

For the 120mm exhaust fan, I think this Noctua:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=25

is a really good alternative because you get 59CFM with very few noise...
Message 24 of 36
bbaraniec
Luminary

I'm also considering swapping both of the fans.
For CPU I have decided NOCTUA NF-R8 for exhaust fan NOCTUA NF-S12B FLX or NOCTUA NF-P12 PWM?
S12 is 3 pin connector P12 is 4 pin. I'm guessing you aren't using Low-Noise Adapter?

And finally a question to http://www.readynas.com/?p=1912#more-1912?
My CPU fan is connected to main board should I connect it to IO card and install that addon?
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements