× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What's the fan type/size for the Readynas Pro?

marcusp
Tutor

If you've a Pro 6, I think the NF-R8 won't fit because its size is 80x80x25 mm and you won't be able to close the case. I've just tried with a standard fan with the same size before ordering this fan and it does not work. The only alternative is a model of approximately 15/16mm of height.
For the CPU fan I advise you to use its PWM mode and plug it on the mobo.

Regarding the system fan the Noctua NF-S12B seems to be the best choice for an exhaust fan (I wouldn't say the same thing if it was to blow air on a cpu heatsink). Read some reviews on the web about its performance and you'll see it outperforms the other models of Noctua for exhaust, even if they have a better static pressure.

Until now, I've not received my fans, the Noiseblocker Blacksilent pro come from deutschland (this model is not distributed in my country) and the other one from an online shop in my own country. I'll share my experience with these fans in this topic when I'll receive them.
Message 26 of 36
marcusp
Tutor

I've received the 2 fans yesterday, so here are some pics of the Noiseblocker:

Noiseblocker on the left, original fan on the right:

NB installed:

temp before and after:

Temp is slightly hotter after the fan replacement, but the fans are nearly audible...I hear more the HDD than the fans !
The quality of the NB is really good, especially compared to the original CPU fan which seems really cheap, mine was vibrating just 2 days after I bought the NAS...
The Noctua NF-S12B is also amazing. During the boot when the fan runs to the maximum speed it's not noisy like with the default fan.

Btw does anyone have tried the EnableFanMinRPMOverride extension ? I think I've read on this forum that someone successfully installed it on x86 readynas, but I don't know if it really works. I would like to increase a little the minimum fan speed for the SYS fan...
Message 27 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think that add-on is intended for this model, so I'm not sure if it'd work.
Message 28 of 36
marcusp
Tutor

Yes I can confirm this extension does not work on x86.
So I made 2 weeks ago this cable and tested it during 2 weeks.

and it works like a charm ! Since I can't override the fan rpm with software I'm doing it with an hardware modification. I'm keeping the monitoring function and the fan is always at the max CFM. 900rpm is too slow for me to offer a good case cooling, at 1200rpm it's really better and the fan is nearly inaudible.
I'll post some caps on my temps later...
Message 29 of 36
thebeak
Aspirant

Hey, I just replaced my stock CPU fan with the NB-BlackSilent PRO 80x80x15mm fan. It's great. My question is this:
Should I have installed it with the fan blowing ON the CPU/Heatsink, or pulling heat off and out the side vent of the case? My CPU temps are generally good, even when streaming Blu Ray rips via Plex, but the System Temp inches up and I'm getting nervous.
Thanks!
Message 30 of 36
DavidtHulin
Aspirant

Hi!

I have searched and searched with no luck:

Please tell me, on the Pro 6 is the CPU/system fan 3 or 4 pin? Are they different? Can a conversion be made - 3->4 pin?

EDIT: Let me be more specific. Will a 4-pin PWM fan fit as a case-fan or a CPU-fan?

Thanks!
David
Message 31 of 36
thebeak
Aspirant

I used a 4-pin. I *think* you can use a 3-pin but there might be an addon you need to use to get it to be monitored correctly.
Message 32 of 36
DavidtHulin
Aspirant

Cool. Thanks. Was that the case-fan or CPU-fan?

D
Message 33 of 36
thebeak
Aspirant

The CPU fan. I'm waiting on shipment of the Noctua NF-S12A FLX case fan for my Pro6.
thebeak
Message 34 of 36
interested
Tutor

I have ordered:

- Noiseblocker NB BlackSilentPro PC-P 80x80x15 (http://www.blacknoise.com/en/products/it/33/Noiseblocker-NB_BlackSilent_Pro_80mm)
- Noiseblocker NB eLoop Bionic B12-P 800-2000 120x25 (http://www.blacknoise.com/en/products/it/8/Noiseblocker-NB_eLoop_Series_120mm)

Still waiting to arrive.
Message 35 of 36
marcusp
Tutor

marcusp wrote:
Yes I can confirm this extension does not work on x86.
So I made 2 weeks ago this cable and tested it during 2 weeks.

and it works like a charm ! Since I can't override the fan rpm with software I'm doing it with an hardware modification. I'm keeping the monitoring function and the fan is always at the max CFM. 900rpm is too slow for me to offer a good case cooling, at 1200rpm it's really better and the fan is nearly inaudible.
I'll post some caps on my temps later...

Here are the temps I forgot to upload last time:

before:

after:

As you can see I've won some degrees compared to previous temp... (the ext temp was approximately the same)
Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements