× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What switch to buy

Killersystems51
Aspirant

What switch to buy

I need a switch and I don't know what to buy I need poe I need for Home Security gaming ,NAS and home business smart home and I want 10gb please I have no clue what to buy
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

Well, you may need to look on 16-24 ports PoE Switch to make sure you accommodate all your equipments. You may want to take a look on the GS324TP or JGS524PE both are 1G switches with PoE Ports. if you are looking for 10G switches might as well check on the GC Family of switches.

You'd need 10GBASE-T with the ReadyNAS.  I'm not seeing that with the GC family.

Getting PoE with multigig up to 10GB on all 16 ports will require a very expensive switch.  For instance the XSM4316PB (over $2000).  https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4300-16x-600w-psu.aspx#docs

But you likely don't need that.  You could combine two switches, for a lot lower cost.  For instance, if your only 10GBase-T device is the ReadyNAS you could use two MS510TXPP switches https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MS510TXPP.aspx#docs for about $700.

Personally I use an XS708Ev2 combined with a GS728TPv2.

There are a lot of possible combinations - but the details matter.  For instance, the PoE power budget, the number of 10GBase-T or multigig ports, and gigabit ports.  The number of PoE ports (and whether they are gigabit or multigig) also affect the overall cost.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

How many 10GBASE-T ports and how many POE ports do you need?

Message 2 of 14
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Killersystems51

Welcome to the Community!

I agree with @StephenB, it will depend on what you need to power, how many ports and even how you want it to be installed. If you are looking for a NETGEAR Switch you can use the Switch Selector.

https://selector.netgear.com/productsearch/FormProductSelector.aspx

HTH

Message 3 of 14
Killersystems51
Aspirant

the switch selector does not work on this site also I have 8 camera's 1 doorbell camera home theatre separates 5 computers and 2 tvs 1 projector and a NAS
Message 4 of 14
Killersystems51
Aspirant

And 2 Soundbars
Message 5 of 14
Killersystems51
Aspirant

I also have cat 8 cable and my and from my internet provider I have fiber gigabyte Plus
Message 6 of 14
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Killersystems51

Well, you may need to look on 16-24 ports PoE Switch to make sure you accommodate all your equipments. You may want to take a look on the GS324TP or JGS524PE both are 1G switches with PoE Ports. if you are looking for 10G switches might as well check on the GC Family of switches.  XS Series switches for 10G capability

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/insight-managed-smart-cloud/gigabit-10Gsfp.aspx#t...

Other members might recommend their choice.

HTH

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

Well, you may need to look on 16-24 ports PoE Switch to make sure you accommodate all your equipments. You may want to take a look on the GS324TP or JGS524PE both are 1G switches with PoE Ports. if you are looking for 10G switches might as well check on the GC Family of switches.

You'd need 10GBASE-T with the ReadyNAS.  I'm not seeing that with the GC family.

Getting PoE with multigig up to 10GB on all 16 ports will require a very expensive switch.  For instance the XSM4316PB (over $2000).  https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4300-16x-600w-psu.aspx#docs

But you likely don't need that.  You could combine two switches, for a lot lower cost.  For instance, if your only 10GBase-T device is the ReadyNAS you could use two MS510TXPP switches https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MS510TXPP.aspx#docs for about $700.

Personally I use an XS708Ev2 combined with a GS728TPv2.

There are a lot of possible combinations - but the details matter.  For instance, the PoE power budget, the number of 10GBase-T or multigig ports, and gigabit ports.  The number of PoE ports (and whether they are gigabit or multigig) also affect the overall cost.

Message 8 of 14
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StephenB

Thanks for the correction, I was looking on the SFP Ports my apologies, I agree on what you said as well XS Series like the XS708E and the GS Series combined would be a good option.

Message 9 of 14
Killersystems51
Aspirant

unfortunately I can afford only one switch right now which one would you guys buy but I can add more later
Message 10 of 14
Killersystems51
Aspirant

Haven't even build my NAS yet but I have two computers 2 cameras tv 1 soundbar in about two months I'll require the additional switch
Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Killersystems51 wrote:
unfortunately I can afford only one switch right now which one would you guys buy but I can add more later

Well, the high cost of the switches is mostly due to 10 gigabit, and partly due to PoE.  If you take those features out, you can get a good 16 port gigabit switch for about $100.

If you have devices that need PoE (such as wired IP security cameras), then PoE is a must-have. 

10 gigabit isn't a must-have for home users - and you might well find that you are quite happy with 1 gigabit ethernet. A good NAS can support ~100 MB/s transfer speed with a 1 gigabit network. That is far more than you need for media streaming.

So maybe start with MS510TXPP if that gives you enough PoE ports. 

But it might be better to just get a much less expensive GS316PP for now, and postpone any thoughts about 10 gigabit/multigig until you find you actually need higher speed.  Most home PoE devices can't use 10 gigabit anyway, so you can still use the GS316PP for them, even if you do add 10 gigabit to your network later on.

Message 12 of 14
Killersystems51
Aspirant

I'm sorry but I'm getting really confused you guys said I could combine two switches for everything that I need in my first post .I plan on building a NAS before the end of the year so what 2 switches do I get I'm going to buy the cheapest one first and then the more expensive one later in the year the cameras are Ubiquiti G4 Pro thank you guys in advance for all your help
Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Killersystems51 wrote:
so what 2 switches do I get I'm going to buy the cheapest one first and then the more expensive one later in the year 

There are a couple different combinations of switches you could use.

Again, based on your post you already have the PoE cameras.  So you should get the PoE capability first.  That suggests the MS510TXPP.  

Since cost was a factor, I gave you a second PoE choice that was less expensive.  The cheaper version doesn't have 10GBASE-T.

What other 10GBASE-T or multigig devices are you planning to get (other than the NAS)?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements