× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What would be the best setup for Raid with 4 bay NAS

rmacbeth
Apprentice

What would be the best setup for Raid with 4 bay NAS

With the 4 bays what would be the best setuo for Raid? Also with the WD red what version should I get the reg red or the pro.  I looking at either 4 2TB drives or 4 4TB drives.  The cost difference come with the speed of the drives one being 5400 and the other 7200 .  Do you know how good the 3tb drives are over the 2TB?

Thanks

Rich

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
omicron_persei8
Luminary

You can't make LAGs on the GSS108E but you can make static LAGs on the GSS116E. Neither of them support LACP LAGs.
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/Click-Switch.pdf

If you really want to make a LAG, you could create a static LAG on the GSS116E and a Round Robin bond on the NAS, which would be the correct configuration.
Unless you have a good reason to think so, using an LACP LAG between the NAS and GS108T, then a static LAG between the GS108T and the GSS116E is not going to have any benefit over simply using a direct static LAG.
I personnaly avoid ALB, but that's only my opinion 😉

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@rmacbeth wrote:

With the 4 bays what would be the best setuo for Raid?

For most users, the default XRAID setup is the right choice.  It provides automatic expansion and protection against a single disk failure.

BTW, RAID is not enough to keep your data safe, so I'd recommend putting a backup plan in place also.

@rmacbeth wrote:

I looking at either 4 2TB drives or 4 4TB drives.  

Get 4 TB drives.  3x4TB gives you 2 TB more space than 4x2TB, and gives you an empty slot for expansion later on.

4 TB drives are just as reliable as 2 TB and cost less per TB.

@rmacbeth wrote:

The cost difference come with the speed of the drives one being 5400 and the other 7200 .

I use the Reds myself.

But both the Red and the Red Pro will work well with your NAS.  On sustained (e.g. large) file transfers, both will be limited by your network speed, not the disks themselves. You might see a performance difference on small files - but you will get good performance either way.

The Reds have a 3 year warranty, the Red Pro's have a 5 year warranty.

The Reds will run at lower temps because of the slower rotation speed.  Some people (including me) think that running at lower temps improves the drive life.  Others think not.  

The Red Pros (or REs) will run hotter, but have enterprise drive specs.  Whether enterprise drives are worth the extra cost is again arguable - some say yes, others no.

The net here is that both are popular choices here, and you'll likely be happy with either one.  

Message 2 of 14
rmacbeth
Apprentice

@StephenB thanks for the answers to my questions.  I have a 1GB backbone with Netgear switchs along with r7800v2 router connected with Cat 6 cableing.  I will get 3 4tb red's I also in the camp with less heat better drive live.  I have two Click switchs one being GSS116E and a GSS108E.  The question I still have is with the RN214 Link aggregation will the GSS116E LAG configurantion be able to use for this?

Thanks

Rich

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@rmacbeth wrote:

The question I still have is with the RN214 Link aggregation will the GSS116E LAG configurantion be able to use for this?

I don't think the GSS116E supports LACP - if that is correct, then you won't be able to use the GSS116E LAG.  

You can still try to use the ALB bonding mode in the RN214 - that doesn't require special switch support.  Sometimes it does misbehave - if you see odd behavior, disconnect the second NIC and just to make sure its not related to bonding.

Message 4 of 14
rmacbeth
Apprentice

@StephenB I heard that might be a problem.  I take it that the GS108T would be a good fit.  I can get one for approx $80 and put it in frount of the GS116E.

Thanks so much for all your help

Rich

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@rmacbeth wrote:

@StephenB I heard that might be a problem.  I take it that the GS108T would be a good fit.  I can get one for approx $80 and put it in frount of the GS116E.

The GS108T does support LACP.  You'd need a static lag between the GS108T and the GSS116E, and LACP between the GS108T and the RN214.

You will only see a performance benefit if you have multiple simultaneous connections from devices on the GSS116E (or GS108T) and the NAS. 

I'd probably wait on the GS108T and try ALB first.

Message 6 of 14
rmacbeth
Apprentice

@StephenB Would it be worth trying to use ALB with using the LAG on the GS116E or would it be not worth trying?

Thanks

Rich

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@rmacbeth wrote:

@StephenB Would it be worth trying to use ALB with using the LAG on the GS116E or would it be not worth trying?

No, that's not the correct way to configure it. You set up the NAS normally (1 network connection).  Then connect the second NIC, and configure ALB on the NAS.  No LAG is configured on the GS116E.

Message 8 of 14
rmacbeth
Apprentice

@StephenB Thanks I was just asking if it would help since it is a static LAG it was just a thougt.

Thanks for all your help.  I going to put it on order.  It going to take a few weeks to get the drives in their are on backorder.  I let you know how it went.

Rich

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@rmacbeth wrote:

I let you know how it went.

Please do!

Message 10 of 14
omicron_persei8
Luminary

You can't make LAGs on the GSS108E but you can make static LAGs on the GSS116E. Neither of them support LACP LAGs.
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/Click-Switch.pdf

If you really want to make a LAG, you could create a static LAG on the GSS116E and a Round Robin bond on the NAS, which would be the correct configuration.
Unless you have a good reason to think so, using an LACP LAG between the NAS and GS108T, then a static LAG between the GS108T and the GSS116E is not going to have any benefit over simply using a direct static LAG.
I personnaly avoid ALB, but that's only my opinion 😉

Message 11 of 14
rmacbeth
Apprentice

My NAS will be here this tuesday (the drives already were delivered) I was going to give the static LAG a try since I do have the GSS116E hooked up to my R7800 that way I can give it a try. If it does not handle what I have then I will look into getting a GS108T and not use the Static LAG on the GSS116E.  I let you know what I find out later on this coming week.

Message 12 of 14
rmacbeth
Apprentice

I got everything up and running with my network.  Thanks to everyone for all their help.  What I did was created two Static LAG's on the GS116E and connected each one of the Ethernet outputs of the RN214 to each of the Static LAG's no other config needed.  Came right up with no issues.  Config my Time Machine setups as private for my MacBook pro and iMac and then set up my windows units’ backups along with setting up my cloud storage.  All are working great so far Backups are fast with the backbone I have set up.  One on 5Ghz wireless the rest on Ethernet 1gb full duplex.  With 3 4tb red drives gives my approx. 7tb of data use.  I see how much that will last me and then decide how big of drive I will need to add later on to fill the rest of the NAS.

Message 13 of 14
omicron_persei8
Luminary

What do you mean two Static LAGs?
You need to have a single Static LAG (two ports) on the switch and a Round robin bond on the NAS (both NICs).
1) create the Round robin on the NAS.
2) create the Static LAG on the switch
3) wire it (both NICs of NAS to the two switch ports members of the Static LAG).
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements