× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

When is Netgear going to refresh their ReadyNAS range?

Platypus69
Luminary

When is Netgear going to refresh their ReadyNAS range?

Big fan of the ReadyNAS product range. I think they are far suprior to Sunology and QNAP.

Have about 20 of them...

But... when/is Netgear going to refresh their ReadyNAS range?

Current models are getting a bit dated...

Any rumours, announcements "word of the street", or thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: When is Netgear going to refresh their ReadyNAS range?

There are several where the hardware is fairly new, though not radically so compared to older models.  The 400, 520, and 620 series specifically.  Unfortunately, many are currently unavailable in the supply chain. A user recently posted that was due to limited profit due to tariffs, but Netgear has not announced that.  Many have assumed the supply issue is more COVID related, with manufacturing and transportation being used by more important commodities.

The Debian Linux upon which the OS is based is getting a bit long in the tooth, having just been removed from long term support in June.  Netgear does not normally make OS update announcements in advance, but I would hope they are working on something based on a newer Debian distro.  Of couse, that's a major change, so expect a longer beta period when it does occur.  At this point, I would not expect that update to be incompatible with older OS6 NAS except maybe the 100 series due to memory and CPU limitations.

Message 2 of 5
Platypus69
Luminary

Ha! Ha! Ha! Thank you Sir!

Not sure about your definition of "fairly new". Most RN426 are coming up to their EOL, in other words their 5 year warranty has or is expiring...

A hardware refresh is definitely overdue!

Other NAS vendors have started to use the AMD processors which are phenomenally priced for the performance they deliver. I mean even Apple is going to ARM, no? Major cost of the RN600 series is the Xeon processor!

RN400 series use the C3000 and the RN600 series use a Xeon, so the cost for a RN526 is double the cost of the RN426. Which is ridiculous. There should be a pricepoint in between.

So it would be good to see a refresh with modern hardware. I would like to see Netgear move away from price gouging Intel.

Plus RAM densities are better, costs are down, so there is no excuse not to have 1-2 DDR4 SODIMMs with support of up to 64GB RAM with which you could potentially do some insteresting things...

And as you said the OS is long in the tooth.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Platypus69 wrote:

Not sure about your definition of "fairly new". Most RN426 are coming up to their EOL, in other words their 5 year warranty has or is expiring...

Definitely not true.  The RN426 was launched in May 2017, so everyone who's purchased one has at 2 or more years of warranty left.

But it would be good to have some new models introduced.

Message 4 of 5
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@Platypus69 wrote:

Definitely not true.  The RN426 was launched in May 2017, so everyone who's purchased one has at 2 or more years of warranty left.

But it would be good to have some new models introduced.

Agreed. I've been wanting to upgrade the server infrastructure in my studio for years and now I finally have the resources to do it. I'm planning to invest $4-5K in for new hardware and drives for both storage and backup and I need a system that can last for 5 to 7 years. I've gotten 9-years of life from my Pro-6 and it's still productive. I plan to upgrade the OS and turn it into my backup NAS. I originally planned on a 626X like we have for our studio in LA, but lately the age of the platform is giving me pause. This is a 4-year old hardware design and a lot has changed over the years. It's a solid box for sure, but it's really overdue for an update. I'm definitely looking around at options. I really like ReadyNAS products and hope something new is in the works. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements