× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: When will we find Hard Disks WD RED 10TB and 12TB on Compatibility List? ReadyNas 516 & 314

Lennardo
Tutor

When will we find Hard Disks WD RED 10TB and 12TB on Compatibility List? ReadyNas 516 & 314

Hallo,

when will the Hard Disk Compatibility List get an update with Hard Disks from WD with 10TB and 12 TB? At the moment there is just WD Gold Hard Disk and this is so noisy, you cant really use this disks in a business NAS wich isnt far away from the desk.

Thank you.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 5
NXIXN
Apprentice

Re: When will we find Hard Disks WD RED 10TB and 12TB on Compatibility List? ReadyNas 516 & 314

Hi Lennardo,

You may want to post your request on the link below as NETGEAR might be able to look into this and have their engineers to run test with the said drives but dont get your hopes high as this type of request requires firmware/software to be run simulateanously when testing and most of the time both the ReadyNAS firmware and hard disk firmware must cooperate.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-storage

I hope NETGEAR will be able to do it as quieter high capacity drives are popular and extremely important for business storage environment.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The Reds should work - the main risk of using them is that Netgear might deny software support.

Message 3 of 5
Lennardo
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

The Reds should work - the main risk of using them is that Netgear might deny software support.

Thank you. But its a risk to buy 4x 10TB hard disk for around 1200EUR and then get a problem. Do you know a good reason why these disks are not tested by Netgear? They are since around 9 month availeble and still not tested.  WD red and WD Red Pro are mostly used in this devices, more than Seagate (at least what i see).

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Lennardo wrote:
Do you know a good reason why these disks are not tested by Netgear? They are since around 9 month availeble and still not tested.  

No, I don't.  My understanding is that their qualification testing is pretty extensive, and I suspect it is understaffed.

Still, I'd expect them to fast-track WD Reds and Red Pros.

FWIW, the biggest Red/Red Pro drives are 10 TB, not 12.  I expect that to change in a few months (just my guess).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements