× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: When will we find Hard Disks WD RED 10TB and 12TB on Compatibility List? ReadyNas 516 & 314

Skeetboy1
Apprentice

When will we find Hard Disks WD RED 10TB and 12TB on Compatibility List? ReadyNas 516 & 314

I have 2 clients running 2 x 10TB WD Gold drives in ReadyNAS 524x and 716x boxes, no problems so far other than a faulty disk at purchase (swapped without question). Both boxes currently running 6.9.3 firmware.

Doing some number crunching with one of the clients for a RR4360x and they want WD 12TB (Gold WD121KRYZ) drives installed, would imagine that they will be OK (based upon the comments in the HCL), just waiting to see them on the list before the client goes ahead.

So, please Mr Netgear - can you get a wriggle on with your testing?

Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: When will we find Hard Disks WD RED 10TB and 12TB on Compatibility List? ReadyNas 516 & 314

Hi @Skeetboy1

NETGEAR does really put the drives on stringent tests to make sure that it is working with the ReadyNAS models available and list it as a suggested drive.

There are times though that the engineers might not be able to cope up with the release of new drives due to the time it takes to fully test a drive into ReadyNAS models and that is one reason not all models are getting listed right away (there are lots of drives available). Also, the HCL is like more of a suggested list of drives that NETGEAR was able to test.

If it was me I would go for the 12TB Gold. I'm pretty sure there are members as well who have tried using the drives without issues and the 10TB model is already listed which is the same series as 12TBs.

I have inquired about this and I hope they can check on the drive and get it listed. Though testing does take time so we have to wait but we can say it will be listed 🙂

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

Also, the HCL is like more of a suggested list of drives that NETGEAR was able to test.

The phrase below (from the HCL page) says it isn't a suggestion.

WARNING: NETGEAR Support can and will deny support on devices using drives not found on the official compatibility list.

FWIW, it's been almost a year since these drives came out.  Netgear really needs to do a better job of keeping up.  If they can't, they should change the support policy (and revise the text on the HCL page).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements