× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which RAID should I select for BEST backup?

Which RAID should I select for BEST backup?

Hello all,

I just got my ReadyNAS 316, installed two 6 TB WD Red drives, and (with the help of the awesome support techs) got everything up and running.  Now I need to figure out which RAID level/type is best for my needs.

I have some "test" data on the current setup just to make sure everything was working nicely, but I can blow that away because it is stored on my laptop.

Here is what I want:

• I would like complete mirrors.  That is, I should currently have 6 TB of useable storage on drive A and drive B will be the mirror.  I will only install drives in pairs, so my next set of 6 TB drives (C and D) will give 6 TB of additional storage on drive C and drive D will be THAT mirror... and so on.
  • The intent is to fill Drive A with photos and video.  Wait until it's completely backed up/mirrored to drive B, remove drive B and store offsite, insert a new drive B and go on with life.
  • The same process would be done with drive C (and, consequently, drive D would be removed, stored offsite, and a new drive D would be inserted).

Here are my questions:

1. Is this feasible?
  2. What kind of RAID would I use?
  3. Can I just remove mirrored drives like this and insert new ones with the expectation (and result) that the RN 316 will see this new drive and think, "Hey, that should be the mirror for drive A (or C).  Let me fill it up!"
  4. Should I have separate volumes for each of the pairs?  That is, should I call drive A "First stuff", drive C "Second stuff", and so on?
  5. Is there a better way to do this while keeping the ability to pull drives and store offsite and have mirrors of everything in the RN 316?

super appreciate any responses on this.

Thank you,

Roy

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Which RAID should I select for BEST backup?

I back up shares (to backup NAS, not external USB drives, but the idea is the same).  I've had a NAS for some years, and currently have ~20 shares (a couple less).  The main issue with backup is that you can't let a share get bigger than the backup drive.  I've had to reorganize my backups occasionally but in general it hasn't been much of a problem.  Organization on the NAS takes a little thought, but with volumes of the size you are planning you will need some folder structure anyway.

When you back up the full volume, of course you need a destination drive that can hold the full volume. Once you overflow your initlal 6 TB volume size, that won't work (since there are no 12 TB USB drives).  So you'll end up share-by-share anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The RAID level you describe would require 3 RAID-1 volumes (one volume created for each pair of drives).

Removing the mirror and storing it off site is not recommended.

An alternative I like better:

use XRAID single redundancy, install 2 disks and create single share on the volume.  Then back that share up to an external USB drive until the backup USB drive becomes full.  

Then add another 6 TB drive to the array (which will expand by 6 TB) and create a second share.  Put all new files into the second share, and start backing that up to a second USB drive.

Repeat the above when the second USB drive fills.

Cost per TB is similar to what you are proposing, and the NAS storage is much more efficient (holding 30 TB of media instead of only 18).

Message 2 of 15

Sorry for the newbie questions here.

Right now, the two drives are inserted and according to my admin page I have Raid 1 and X-RAID is green which means that I am using X-RAID with single redundancy, correct?  I am assuming it is a single volume (called 'data') as I just did the generic setup.  When you say "create single share on the volume" (and please don't smack your forehead when I ask this), what do you mean?

Message 3 of 15
cpu8088
Virtuoso

readynas default the volume/array name to "data" and this is misleading because what stored in hard drives are data anyway.

should have provision to rename it to say "array1" or "volume 1" etc instead of having to destroy the "data" and then set up new array.

Message 4 of 15

Yet one more question.  I just don't get the X-RAID idea.  If I have 5.5 TB of data on Drive A, 5.5 TB on Drive C, X-RAID only has 5.5 TB of "protection" on Drive B.  If Drive A completely flatlines, can I get all the data back using Drive B?  If Drive C completely flatlines, can I get all the data back using Drive B.  If both Drive A and Drive C flatline, will I get all of my data back from Drive B?

Message 5 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With three or more disks X-RAID single-redundancy uses RAID-5. With three disks you could withstand the failure of any one disk.

There are of course other possible problemy you may run into including multiple disk failures. If the NAS will be used for primary storage then backups to USB disks, another NAS or some place else are vital.

Message 6 of 15
cpu8088
Virtuoso

traditional raid 0 no parity, so if one drive fails the whole array/volume will collapse.

raid 1 5 6 10 etc use parity for recreation of data if a hard drive fails. raid 1 and 5 allow one drive failure while  6 10 allow 2 drives failure.

u need to search internet for "raid" to understand more

x-raid is netgear readynas  developed software to run on top of traditional raids. x-raid is useful for expansion vertically and horizontally

Message 7 of 15

Okay.  So three of you have chimed in and I super appreciate it.

Summary: Do X-RAID.  It will allow you to get back your data if any one drive fails.  Don't use the RN 316 as a sole backup.  Backup each disk to an external HD via USB.  Store that external offsite.

Message 8 of 15
cpu8088
Virtuoso

@MathemAddicts wrote:
Backup each disk to an external HD via USB.  Store that external offsite.

u backup folders containing data to external hd. or backup all folders to another nas. etc

if you have raid u dont backup each disk to external hd because you cannot create parity

Message 9 of 15

Got it.  Thank you all!

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@MathemAddicts wrote:

...Backup each disk to an external HD via USB.  Store that external offsite.

Though I think you have it, just be sure...  You are backing up the data volume (which spans all disks with XRAID) to one or more USB drives.  As was mentioned earlier, you can't back up individual drives, because RAID is assembling them into a single virtual drive.

Message 11 of 15

Well, it's one of two choices for the external backups.

1. Create shares (which I am guessing are similar to folders) right now and backup each share.  That is, have a "share" folder called Pictures 2015 that I will backup, and so on.  This allows for smaller logical chunks to be backed up.  Although I am guessing this is the messiest as far as organizing goes.
  2. Do what you suggest and make a multi-drive backup once every-so-often.  How challenging would this be?

Thanks again for all the help!

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

I back up shares (to backup NAS, not external USB drives, but the idea is the same).  I've had a NAS for some years, and currently have ~20 shares (a couple less).  The main issue with backup is that you can't let a share get bigger than the backup drive.  I've had to reorganize my backups occasionally but in general it hasn't been much of a problem.  Organization on the NAS takes a little thought, but with volumes of the size you are planning you will need some folder structure anyway.

When you back up the full volume, of course you need a destination drive that can hold the full volume. Once you overflow your initlal 6 TB volume size, that won't work (since there are no 12 TB USB drives).  So you'll end up share-by-share anyway.

Message 13 of 15

Yeah.  My wife is a photographer, so each year will be a share.  Thank you so much!

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@MathemAddicts wrote:

Yeah.  My wife is a photographer, so each year will be a share.  Thank you so much!

Sounds sensible.  Shares can contain subfolders (so you could create a subfolder for every month if desired).

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements