× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which drive

Clarkson
Aspirant

Which drive

Hi all
There are 24 approved drives for my nas rn312 . Can someone suggest which ones to look at need 2tb at least. Mainly for home media use photos music video etc.

And anyone know any good deals on drives anywhere.

Cheers

John
Message 1 of 5
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Clarkson wrote:
There are 24 approved drives for my nas rn312 . Can someone suggest which ones to look at need 2tb at least. Mainly for home media use photos music video etc.
And anyone know any good deals on drives anywhere.

I like the Seagate ST4000VN000. Amazon sells them for around $160 each.
Message 2 of 5
xeltros
Apprentice

I'm also happily running with Seagate NAS HDD (ST4000VN000). They are a little more expensive than the standard version but what you will spend you will get it back on the power bill. The extended warranty and their thermal performance are other advantages compared to normal disks.
I heard WD green drives had problems with their heads parking too often. There are utilities to change that. I don't know about WD red versions.
Message 3 of 5
Clarkson
Aspirant

Hi
Ok thanks for that will try them .

Having a mare was originally going to reformat my drives from my duo but 312 having none of it

I have put an older 500 gig drive in the 312 but still not working doesn't seem to see a drive is there at all

Cheers

John
Message 4 of 5
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

Using 6x WDC WD4000FYYZ-01ULB0 4TB in RN516. Very easy to install and running without problems or incidents for over a year now. From the 24 TB, 17 TB remains for data.

The only thing I noticed is that the middle ones in the disk stack are always a couple degrees higher in temperature. Eventually, when the disks will get older, those might be the first to go. MTBF is 1.200.000 hours, so it's too soon to worry about that 🙂
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements