× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which hardware compatibility to use for OS6.x on Legacy hardware?

MindBender
Aspirant

Which hardware compatibility to use for OS6.x on Legacy hardware?

Hi guys,

Some time ago, I upgraded my ReadyNAS Pro 6 to OS6 and it's working flawlessly. Now I would like to upgrade the hard disks, and I'm considering a set of WD Red Pro WD6002FFWX 6TB drives, but I wonder what compatibility list applies to my configuration.

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Which hardware compatibility to use for OS6.x on Legacy hardware?

@MindBender wrote:

Some time ago, I upgraded my ReadyNAS Pro 6 to OS6 and it's working flawlessly. Now I would like to upgrade the hard disks, and I'm considering a set of WD Red Pro WD6002FFWX 6TB drives, but I wonder what compatibility list applies to my configuration.

Netgear hasn't updated the "legacy NAS" HCL for some years, so ignore the Pro6 list.

Red, Red Pro, Ironwolf, Ironwolf Pro will all work fine (as will WDC Gold and Seagate Enterprise drives).  You might check the mount points, as many larger drives are using "alternative mount points" which create more internal platter space. 

These alternative mounts won't fully align with the holes in the tray - you'll end up with only two mounting screws if you use those drives.  Those will work, but obviously won't be as firmly attached and might have more vibration than you'd get with the older mount points.  

Note the 6 TB Red Pros use about 9 watts of power when active, your NAS might run the fans more and run a bit hotter than it does now.  The 8 TB size uses 8.3 watts, the 10 TB size uses 5.7 watts.

Message 2 of 3
MindBender
Aspirant

Re: Which hardware compatibility to use for OS6.x on Legacy hardware?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Can you suggest which NetGear product HCL I could adhere to as a guideline? The 6TB WD Red Pro comes in two versions: WD6001FFWX and WD6002FFWX. The two are nearly identical, but only the first one appears on the HCLs I checked. The latter is newer and the first is almost impossible to obtain, or at unreasonable prices.

If mechanical inconveniences - like the mounting holes you mentioned - are the reason for rejecting compatibility, that's no problem for me. Can you think of any other reason? In this topic (https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/WD-RED-PRO-6TB-WD6001FFWX-vs-WD6002...) people report them working fine, but that doesn't proove much...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements