× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless

bagus
Follower

Wireless

Hello,

I am looking at buying a NAS and I have a couple of questions. I am looking at the cheaper end of the spectrum if possible

Which models are wireless?
I have a seedbox which I schedule my computer to download from between 2 and 8am (uncapped during these hours), I was wondering if this would be possible via the NAS or will I still have to use the comp...

Cheers

Craig
Message 1 of 3
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: Wireless

bagus wrote:
Which models are wireless?

None - all devices plug into your Network via ethernet and can then be accessed wirelessly if you have that capability on your network. Note that I am not aware of any low cost NAS from any supplier that includes built-in wireless. There are however wireless adapters available that can add such functionality

bagus wrote:
I have a seedbox which I schedule my computer to download from between 2 and 8am (uncapped during these hours), I was wondering if this would be possible via the NAS or will I still have to use the comp...

Depends on your specific requirements - but in general such a facility can be setup via your NAS
Message 2 of 3
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Wireless

Keep in mind that unless you have the best conditions for wireless N, fast ethernet is still faster in file transfers. All of the current and recent ReadyNAS units have gigabit ethernet NICs or better (some rack mount high end units have 10gigabit NICs. The only restriction that wired ethernet puts on the NAS is that it must be reasonably close to a ethernet port. If your home is like mine (not wired), then it needs to be fairly close to the router or switch. In my case on the same side of the room with the router and switch, but accessible in all rooms via the wireless router.

Using a test file that is a .wmv file of 3GB, my file transfer rate to my laptop using wireless 'n' is 5-6 Megabytes per second (MB/s) whereas over the wired gigabit network it is 60-75 MB/s when copied to my desktop. Wireless is great for mobility but terrible for file transfer speeds. For small files, it is not that significant but with data capacity on the NAS units now in double digit Terrabytes, it just doesn't make sense to connect them wirelessly.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements