× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Workaround for ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH problem for Sparc NAS (4.1.x firmware)

givememynamebak
Luminary

Re: Workaround for ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH problem for Sparc NAS (4.1.x firmware)

@StephenB- FWIW:  Also in Firefox, you can also change security.tls.hello_downgrade_check to false to get rid of the TLS Security Warning where you have to click accept to proceed.  I use Firefox on my home network and Chrome for everything else.

Also in windows 11, you can search for "Turn windows feature on or off" and check "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" to discover the network shares.

Thankfully they leave these as options for us!

Message 51 of 84
Sandshark
Sensei

@givememynamebak wrote:

@StephenB- FWIW:  Also in Firefox, you can also change security.tls.hello_downgrade_check to false to get rid of the TLS Security Warning where you have to click accept to proceed.  I use Firefox on my home network and Chrome for everything else.

But, that does make the exception for all cases, which is probably a bad idea for external sites.  So maintaining a separate install for ReadyNAS access is still a good idea.

Message 52 of 84
nutsyboltsy
Guide

Many thanks to all monitoring this thread!!!

I'm on a Window's 11 machine connecting to a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 running RAIDiator 4.2.31.  I managed to get access to Frontview using Firefox 94.0.2 (disabling automatic updates per @StephenB as soon as i opened firefox proved essential, in case anyone's struggling with that the way i did)

I have a similar question as did @jmzorko, namely, I'm trying to identify the correct file to download then load as a local add-on into Frontview.  Following https://rnxtras.com/ i found my way to https://repos.rnxtras.com/debian/.  but it's not clear to me exactly which file from the many directories i should use.  I rolled the dice and tried all the files i found in https://repos.rnxtras.com/debian/ntgr-r4x86/dists/r4x86/main/binary-i386/, however, "uploading and verifying" from the Add-ons tab resulted in each one giving me an error saying "Update file is not valid for this architecture."

So... I think i'm almost there - i just need to find the right file that will upgrade my NAS to use TLS 1.2.  Can anyone point me to the exact file i should use?

Thanks!

Phil

Message 53 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

Hence why I find just using portable ff 52 the easiest solution since it's just like having a proprietary software to access something.

Message 54 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

This is the crux of the problem of using legacy equipment though.  The only way to avoid issues with legacy equipment is generally to just keep it 'period correct'.  That does limit its usefulness, but its usefulness approaches nothing when trying to use it with 'modern' equipment.  And this isn't an issue with just NAS units or Netgear or any brand or device--it is an age old problem that manufacturers have realized is their worst enemy to new sales so now 'forced obsolescence' is the new mantra.  We're lucky these devices don't have a 'call home and die' feature.

Message 55 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

Yep, and playing whack a mole with that update setting will try your patience.  I have a portable version of ff 73 that I've seen automatically upgrade to 100+ without my permission as it just likes to sneakily change that setting every so often.  My solution was to copy my version of 73 and start with it each time.  A royal pita though and since portable ff52 works great for the readynas I don't mess with the later versions for accessing frontview.

Message 56 of 84
givememynamebak
Luminary

@SamirD- As previously mentioned, you can also use any version of Firefox just set security.tls.version.min to 1 in about:config.  I use Chrome or Edge for everything outside my network and the latest Firefox only for internal LAN for these reasons rather than maintaining a separate install/version.

@nutsyboltsy- You can probably get it from his github instead of his debian repo here: https://github.com/rdynsxtrs/rn4bin

~Cheers

Message 57 of 84
StephenB
Guru

@nutsyboltsy wrote:

So... I think i'm almost there - i just need to find the right file that will upgrade my NAS to use TLS 1.2.  Can anyone point me to the exact file i should use?

https://github.com/rdynsxtrs/rn4bin/blob/main/apache2/x86/Apache2_2.2.34-x86-0.2.0.bin

Though IMO better strategy would be to convert your NAS to run OS-6.

Message 58 of 84
nutsyboltsy
Guide

Thanks, @StephenB!  Worked like a charm.  I did get an error at the end of the install but just rebooted the NAS anyway and it gave me an "install successful" message after startup.  I think you mentioned that might happen in an earlier post in this thread.

WRT...

@StephenB wrote:

Though IMO better strategy would be to convert your NAS to run OS-6.

... I saw the instructions you posted to do this earlier in the thread and it looks like this requires backing up then reformatting the disks installed on the NAS.  I might consider doing this when i have more time but could you explain the benefits of moving to OS-6 now that i'm back up an running through TLS 1.2

Message 59 of 84
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad it's working again.

@nutsyboltsy wrote:

could you explain the benefits of moving to OS-6 now that i'm back up an running through TLS 1.2

One important aspect is that OS-6 supports SMB 3.x  Microsoft and Apple are both deprecating SMB 1 (which is all 4.2.x supports).  At the moment, Microsoft does allow you to re-enable it in Windows. But Microsoft has said that in "some future release" they will remove SMB 1 completely.

OS-6 is still getting security updates (while 4.2.x hasn't had any updates for some years now).

It has other features that 4.2.x doesn't have - the snapshot features built into the BTRFS file system, antivirus scanning, the ability to schedule maintenance functions are three that come to mind.  How valuable those are to you depend on how you use your NAS.

Message 60 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

Good to know about the setting.  Older software always runs so much faster on newer hardware, so I tend to fight any bloatware shoved down my throat.  And my ff52 portable doesn't try to auto update so I can leave it and not worry.  Good method to differentiate between lan and wan in terms of browsers but I've found every so often you need a specific browser for a specific site.  Yes it's 2023 and some sites still play that game...

Message 61 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

One disadvantage to OS6 is that it is more intense on resources, so depending on your ram config, it may run slower than OS4.

Message 62 of 84
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

One disadvantage to OS6 is that it is more intense on resources, so depending on your ram config, it may run slower than OS4.

We do recommend upgrading memory to at least 2 GB when you do the conversion.  I haven't seen any complaints here about overall performance compared with OS 4.2.

Message 63 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

I remember when researching this upgrade for my ultra 6 that 4GB would make it run a better than 2GB.  Since I didn't need anything OS6 brought to the table, I just stuck with OS4.

Message 64 of 84
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

I remember when researching this upgrade for my ultra 6 that 4GB would make it run a better than 2GB.  

If your system has two RAM slots, then 2x2GB is a good option.  Though many OS 6 NAS run reasonably with 2 GB.

Message 65 of 84
Sandshark
Sensei

It's not dual channel RAM, so 4GB just gives you more, not a parallel path, and the speed improvement of 4GB vs. 2GB is minimal.  But that kind of RAM is dirt cheap these days, so you might as well go for 4GB.

Message 66 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

4GB even helps OS4 ime, and thanks to older posts here I believe I have a set of 8GB (2x4GB) modules that should allow me to get to 8GB.  I might consider OS6 at that point, but still will keep with the 'if it isn't broken don't fix it' mentality I usually use with older hardware.

Message 67 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

Yep, moving to 4GB on the ultra 6 is truly dirt cheap and a nice bang for the buck even on OS4.

Message 68 of 84
Sandshark
Sensei

4GB modules that work are not usually dirt cheap.  The cheap ones are typically 2Rx4 (often labeled "AMD only" or "High Density") and you need 1Rx8.  That's why we are recommending two 2GB modules.

Message 69 of 84
SamirD
Prodigy

Yep, but they're nearing the end of the bathtub curve so they will also become relatively cheap again too.  I was lucky enough to buy a lot of DDR2 and found a set of crucials that were on one of the lists posted here of verified modules.  Just haven't had time to install them yet.

Message 70 of 84
hermanfong
Initiate

RNDU4000, Serial# 2DK1080G00A36

Message 71 of 84
StephenB
Guru

@hermanfong wrote:

RNDU4000, Serial# 2DK1080G00A36

And what is your question exactly?

Are you wanting guidance on how to convert your Ultra to run OS-6?

Instructions on how to install the 4.2.x add-on for the SSL Version Error?

Something else???

Message 72 of 84
Bubba_Smitty
Initiate

"There is also an add-on for 4.2.31 (which is now working) here: https://rnxtras.com/

Hello world,

First ever post so forgive me if I stuff up here and I understand this is a very old post, however I hope you see this.

The above link you quoted unfortunately is no longer active.

Although your instructions for using SSH are great, I am fairly new to NAS stuff and I am hesitant in trying it, as I don't want to brick the NAS I inherited.

To elaborate, I inherited an old ReadyNAS NVX business edition with 4 disk bays. I have managed to start using it and installed the last ever firmware update 4.2.31  available for this 32 bit model NAS. I have done some research and believe there are no further firmware updates for this particular 32 bit NAS. I have no idea what cpu it's using or memorey onboard or any other details.

I am using RAIDar to access the frontview via Firefox Browser V121.0 (64-bit)

So like the last member you were assisting, All I would like to do is update the TLS version on the NVX to 1.2 so I don't get that pesky message from Firefox and Chrome etc. Plus I imagine it will make it more secure to connect to the NAS. I only use it on my private network and have no intention of accessing it over the internet.

So after all that.

Is there another place I could download the add on that would update my NAS to TLS 1.2? Is there a way to find what CPU it uses for addon compatibility?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Message 73 of 84
StephenB
Guru

@Bubba_Smitty wrote:

"There is also an add-on for 4.2.31 (which is now working) here: https://rnxtras.com/

The above link you quoted unfortunately is no longer active.

Here's a direct link:

@Bubba_Smitty wrote:

I inherited an old ReadyNAS NVX business edition with 4 disk bays. I have managed to start using it and installed the last ever firmware update 4.2.31  available for this 32 bit model NAS. I have done some research and believe there are no further firmware updates for this particular 32 bit NAS.

Correct.  It cannot be converted to OS-6, and 4.2.31 was the final firmware.  If you attempt to convert it to OS-6, you will likely brick it.

@Bubba_Smitty wrote:

All I would like to do is update the TLS version on the NVX to 1.2 so I don't get that pesky message from Firefox and Chrome etc. Plus I imagine it will make it more secure to connect to the NAS. I only use it on my private network and have no intention of accessing it over the internet.

I don't recommend port forwarding to the NAS even with TLS 1.2, as the firmware hasn't gotten any security patches since 2017.  If you have a router that includes OpenVPN, then you could use that to get remote access.  Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi routers both have OpenVPN.

Message 74 of 84
Bubba_Smitty
Initiate

Thank you so much for your prompt response and the link to the addon it worked a treat after reboot.

I'll only be using the NAS as storage mostly, so I have no need for access over the internet, just local network.

One day I'll probably purchase a new NAS with updated protocols but for now this should suffice.

Again thank you very much for your assistance. 🙂

Message 75 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements