× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wrong model number - possible?

blue_max1
Aspirant

Wrong model number - possible?

Hi all,
Just a curiosity really...

I have an rma on an NVX and received a replacement business model (pro4).

However, on booting up, the model reports itself as an ultra plus. It does it on the device and in front view. Teaming is not available, so it clearly is not a pro4.

However, the unit looked brand new. The box proclaimed pro4, the serial on the box and on the unit match. It also matches the rma model (RNDP4000-100EUS) and serial.

Is this rare? Seems something has gone very wrong somewhere.

I'd just say I have been extremely happy with the customer service and fully expect it to be sorted out tomorrow (only just found out), but just wondered how widespread this is. Anyone got a better model than they were lead to expect?
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Wrong model number - possible?

I've been reading more and more of RMA'd NVX units being replaced with Pro 4 units.

Did you have the NVX (Business Edition) or the NVX Pioneer originally?
Message 2 of 13
blue_max1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I've been reading more and more of RMA'd NVX units being replaced with Pro 4 units.

Did you have the NVX (Business Edition) or the NVX Pioneer originally?

Sorry, I've had flakey internet access!

It was a business edition. They have apparently run out of NVX's, so a nice upgrade.

The latest is that support can change it in software via the internet. So to turn an ultra plus into a pro 4!

I would have thought it was burned on the chip in someway, but it seems not.

Happy days!
Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The NVX is 32-bit whereas the Pro 4 is 64-bit. So it's definitely a very nice upgrade.

Yes they can fix that very easily. Ultra 4 Plus and Pro 4 have the same hardware. If the box says it's a Pro 4 it's possible it was mistakenly flashed to be an Ultra 4 Plus. Mistakes like that can happen occasionally.
Message 4 of 13
blue_max1
Aspirant

I realise mistakes can happen, but there was a handsome premium for the pro 4 (but you probably got longer warranty as well to make up the shortfall).

Can I just ask a quick question as I realise it's not really the correct board for this... Do you think it may be capable of transcoding video on the fly (via plex running on the nas itself). I know the pro 6 can, but suspect it still may not be possible on the pro 4. Just saves a lot of experimenting if it doesn't.

Thank you.
Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Pro 4 has a dual-core Atom CPU: CPU Specs of the ReadyNAS. It'd definitely do remuxing, and might be able to transcode some low quality video but for 720p you'd need an Ultra 6 Plus and for 1080p you'd need a Pro 6.
Message 6 of 13
blue_max1
Aspirant

Thanks for that. Think the pro4 is the slightly unloved model in the range. Not cheap and cheerful like the pro 2 (which has a more powerful processor and usb3) and not as powerful as the pro 6.

Seems the model that needs an upgrade the most!

But I'll start saving the cash for a pro 6 plus with a quad core i7*
*definitely coming in my dreams: )
Message 7 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

Now that would be something. I finally got my Pro 6 (but not with the i7). Cooling might be an issue with an i7 and therefore a little noisy. It was so easy to move my array from my NVX BE which is now my backup unit.
Message 8 of 13
blue_max1
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
Now that would be something. I finally got my Pro 6 (but not with the i7). Cooling might be an issue with an i7 and therefore a little noisy. It was so easy to move my array from my NVX BE which is now my backup unit.

Pro 6 - wow! Now change your profile.

My mac mini server (i7 quad core), would probably fit horizontally in a pro 6 : )

I now have a couple of pro 4's and they are, on paper, much faster than the older NVX's, but to be honest, it makes little difference to me. I think the pro 6 would be a waste really. My mac mini stays on 24/7, so it's no problem to have it process the media files and transfer from there via the nas to the hacked apple TV2.

But it would be nice. Dead jealous!
Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Pro 4 being 64-bit should mean that it is more future proof than the NVX. Whilst this would make little difference to you now, some years down the track it very well might.
Message 10 of 13
SobeUK
Aspirant

Wow this was luck finding this thread. I too have had an issue with my NVX which Netgear have very kindly done an RMA for this week. They have sent a Pro4. So in brief what is the difference between the NVX and Pro4?

Currently I am awaiting the Tech Support to check the firmware before I install as they hae recommended we start with the same firmware as we had in the NVX so that we should be able to simply slot the disks in and retain all the data. No real issue if we cannot as it is all backed up.

So it sounds like a few NVX have failed. Thgis one is two years old and ahs failed twice this year (hence the replacement). Basically a bay failed stating the disk had failed and the a second would follow, which causes the NVX to go into LifeSupport.
Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

SobeUK wrote:
Wow this was luck finding this thread. I too have had an issue with my NVX which Netgear have very kindly done an RMA for this week. They have sent a Pro4. So in brief what is the difference between the NVX and Pro4?

NVXis 32-bit and Pro 4 is 64-bit. Pro 4 replaced the NVX in the ReadyNAS lineup. As the Pro 4 is 64-bit (has 64-bit CPU vs 32-bit CPU in the NVX) it should be more future proof. It's a nice upgrade for you.
SobeUK wrote:

Currently I am awaiting the Tech Support to check the firmware before I install as they hae recommended we start with the same firmware as we had in the NVX so that we should be able to simply slot the disks in and retain all the data. No real issue if we cannot as it is all backed up.

O.K. Out of interest what firmware were you running on the NVX?
SobeUK wrote:

So it sounds like a few NVX have failed.

With the number out there that's hardly surprising. Some units are going to fail with any product. As the NVX has no longer been in production for some time now and not all RMA'd devices can be refurb'd it's not surprising that a Pro 4 was given as a replacement.
SobeUK wrote:

Thgis one is two years old and ahs failed twice this year (hence the replacement). Basically a bay failed stating the disk had failed and the a second would follow, which causes the NVX to go into LifeSupport.

So there was a disk failure in the same bay twice this year or do you mean this is your second RMA replacement unit?

Do you mean that it reported that *if* a second drive failed the NVX would go into life support mode?
Message 12 of 13
SobeUK
Aspirant

On the NVX I was running Firmware 4.2.21

The short history was.

Back in June I upgraded the HDDs to 4x2Tb drives. After the fourth was hotswapped in (over several days to allow for sync) the NVX stated that drive three failed. A few hrs later the NVX stated that drive four had failed and the NVX went into LifeSupport mode. The netgear technitian managed to get the array back on line to allow for a backup to be taken (even though I already had one). Netgear stated that the drive three disk needed to be replaced, so that was done under warantee. It then became apparent that we would have to re-build from scratch.

All then went well until the other week when the NVX stated that drive three had failed. This was just after moving about 200 photos to the unit. In the degraded state a backup was run, however during the backup the fourth bay stated that disk failed and the backup subsequently failed and the unit went into LifeSupport mode. Netgear kindly stated that they would replace the unit. In the mean time they got the array up and running, which allowed me to take a backup. So thankfully it looks like I have not lost any photos (fingers crossed).

I did find it amusing that when I raised the ticket stating that the unit was in LifeSupport mode, first line support asked me for the log files. Not once but twice. In LifeSupport you cannot access the GUI and so cannot access the log files. I'm sure you can access via SSH, but that is what tech support is for.
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements