× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X-Raid going from 8 to 6 drives and increase capacity.

dannieboiz
Aspirant

X-Raid going from 8 to 6 drives and increase capacity.

When I first setup the NAS, I just used whatever drives I had laying around I have a total of 8 drives at the moment, 6x 2TB and 2x 3Tb

I realized that I'm not utilizing all the spaces this way and have almost 2Tb of wasted space, per the X-rad calculator, I can get away with 6 drives 2x each, 2tb, 3tb and 4tb, these are drives I have on hand now. This would increase my capacity by 2Tb and reduce the overall HDD which will reduce heat and electricity usage. It's minimal but why not. 

Would X-raid automatically reallocate the space or do I need to factory reset and start over?

Model: ReadyNAS-4200v2|ReadyNAS 4200v2
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: X-Raid going from 8 to 6 drives and increase capacity.

@dannieboiz wrote:

When I first setup the NAS, I just used whatever drives I had laying around I have a total of 8 drives at the moment, 6x 2TB and 2x 3Tb

I realized that I'm not utilizing all the spaces this way and have almost 2Tb of wasted space, per the X-raid calculator,

8 drives with XRAID will be using dual redundancy - to avoid wasting space you need the four largest drives to be the same size.  You should have a 12 TB volume with protection against two disk failures.  The NAS will show this as ~10.9 TiB.

@dannieboiz wrote:

I can get away with 6 drives 2x each, 2tb, 3tb and 4tb,

This will use single redundancy, and the volume will be 14 TB (shown as ~12.7 TiB).

@dannieboiz wrote:

Would X-raid automatically reallocate the space or do I need to factory reset and start over?

You'd need to start over - XRAID won't do this automatically.  It is possible to get there via from the linux CLI, but the commands are a bit tricky, so it's probably not a good path.

You are giving up dual redundancy (protection from two disk failures) but gaining 2 TB more space.  If you don't actually need the space, perhaps just leave well enough alone for now - the extra protection is worth something, and as you say the power savings are minimal.

If you do want a bit more space, you could also just upgrade two 2 TB drives to 4TB.  You'll still waste 2 TB of space, but your capacity will go up to 14 TB (same as you'd get with (2x2+2x3+2x4 single redundancy).  That would be automatic, and avoid the factory reset.

Message 2 of 3
dannieboiz
Aspirant

Re: X-Raid going from 8 to 6 drives and increase capacity.

Thanks for the info, this is good to know... I will replace the 2x 2tb with 2x 4tb and grow them gradually. this is good info!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements