× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: X-Raid resync vs recovery

ethem13
Tutor

X-Raid resync vs recovery

Hi

Happy new year to all!

Does anyone know the difference between resync and recovery of xraid?

I went on upgrading disks one by one.  First I hotswapped disk number 1, which the status of the system was resync on the volume settings page.

After couple of days, I hotswapped disk number 2.  Now the system is rebuilding again, but it says recovering on the volume settings page, whereas resync on the health page.

Does anyone know what this is or whether I lost some data?

Best regards,

Model: RNDU2000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2)|READYNAS ULTRA 2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ethem13

Both disks were rebuilt and the volume was expanded successfully. Nothing to worry about anymore 🙂

The detection was when you removed the disks but then it was detected again and rebuilt.

and yes I agree with @StephenB always make sure you have full backup or current backup of your data before doing anything that involves your disks or data 🙂

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
ethem13
Tutor

To enrich the question, what I see after second disk hot swap upgrade, is attached.

I think it should have been resync rather than recovery, and I frightened regarding the possibility of lost data.  Can anyone check it out?

Message 2 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ethem13

Welcome to the Community!

I would assume the first Rebuilding/Resync/Recovery finished or did you notice any error reported or failure reported? Resync or recovery it should be the same since new disks added will be filled with relevant information from an existing array. So we can assume it also recovers or rewrites the data that it should be handling or containing from the previous disk.

Unless you had a disk failure or you have unintentionally added the disk without letting the first one finish then I can say you don't have to worry about any data loss. You can always check the full logs for any report of error or failure (status.log, disk_info.log, smart_history.log) and enabling alerts is always a good option.

HTH

Regards

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@ethem13 wrote:

I went on upgrading disks one by one.  First I hotswapped disk number 1, which the status of the system was resync on the volume settings page.

Although I think @Marc_V has answered your main question, I want to point out there is some risk in this procedure.  It is a good idea to make sure your backup is up to date before manipulating disks.

The risk is less with RAID-1 than it is with other RAID modes, and you should be ok at this point.

Message 4 of 7
ethem13
Tutor

Hi

Seriously, did not expect this community to be this agile at the first day of the new year.  Thank you @StephenB and @Marc_V for the prompt replies.

This is my system log (the unneccesary lines are redacted for your simplicity).  The first disk hotswap, and the second disk hotswap are seperated by the dashed lines.  From what I understand from you kind and prompt messages that I do not need to worry about any data loss.

Disk scan only shows that there are 2.5% non-contiguous files, which from what I read is not a concern.

Best regards,

0!!Tue Dec 24 17:42:15 EET 2019!!root!!System is up.
3!!Tue Dec 24 17:43:27 EET 2019!!root!!Disk removal detected. [Disk 1]
3!!Tue Dec 24 17:43:27 EET 2019!!root!!A disk was removed from the ReadyNAS. One or more RAID volumes are currently unprotected, and an additional disk failure or removal may result in data loss. Please add a replacement disk as soon as possible.
1!!Tue Dec 24 17:44:04 EET 2019!!root!!Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 1.
1!!Tue Dec 24 17:46:09 EET 2019!!root!!New disk detected. If multiple disks have been added, they will be processed one at a time. Please do not remove any added disk(s) during this time. [Disk 1]
1!!Tue Dec 24 17:47:19 EET 2019!!root!!Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 1.
1!!Tue Dec 24 17:52:14 EET 2019!!root!!Please close this browser session and use RAIDar to reconnect to the device. System rebooting...
0!!Tue Dec 24 17:52:14 EET 2019!!root!!Rebooting device...
1!!Tue Dec 24 17:55:35 EET 2019!!root!!Volume scan found no errors.
0!!Tue Dec 24 17:55:55 EET 2019!!root!!System is up.
1!!Tue Dec 24 17:56:43 EET 2019!!root!!Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 1.
1!!Tue Dec 24 17:57:01 EET 2019!!root!!RAID sync started on volume C.
1!!Wed Dec 25 02:18:48 EET 2019!!root!!RAID sync finished on volume C.
0!!Wed Dec 25 05:41:34 EET 2019!!root!!System is up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3!!Wed Jan 1 10:28:53 EET 2020!!root!!Disk removal detected. [Disk 2]
3!!Wed Jan 1 10:28:53 EET 2020!!root!!A disk was removed from the ReadyNAS. One or more RAID volumes are currently unprotected, and an additional disk failure or removal may result in data loss. Please add a replacement disk as soon as possible.
2!!Wed Jan 1 10:28:59 EET 2020!!root!!Disk failure detected.
2!!Wed Jan 1 10:28:59 EET 2020!!root!!If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead. It is recommended that you replace the failed disk as soon as possible to maintain optimal protection of your volume.
3!!Wed Jan 1 10:29:02 EET 2020!!root!!The disk on channel 2 has failed. The NAS will automatically shutdown in 30 minutes to prevent possible data loss resulting from additional failed drives.
1!!Wed Jan 1 10:34:09 EET 2020!!root!!New disk detected. If multiple disks have been added, they will be processed one at a time. Please do not remove any added disk(s) during this time. [Disk 2]
1!!Wed Jan 1 10:36:23 EET 2020!!root!!Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 2.
1!!Wed Jan 1 10:47:31 EET 2020!!root!!Please close this browser session and use RAIDar to reconnect to the device. System rebooting...
1!!Wed Jan 1 10:52:03 EET 2020!!root!!Volume scan found no errors.
0!!Wed Jan 1 10:57:05 EET 2020!!root!!System is up.
1!!Wed Jan 1 15:57:35 EET 2020!!root!!RAID sync finished on volume C.
1!!Wed Jan 1 15:57:50 EET 2020!!root!!Found space that can be used to expand capacity, expansion process will start during next boot.
0!!Wed Jan 1 16:16:29 EET 2020!!root!!System is up.
1!!Wed Jan 1 16:22:24 EET 2020!!root!!Continuing with volume expansion or migration. Do not interrupt the system during this time. When complete, email notification will be sent to the alert contact list.
1!!Wed Jan 1 16:22:35 EET 2020!!root!!Data volume has been successfully expanded to 3696 GB.

Disk scan results:

Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/c/c: 620545/45547520 files (2.5% non-contiguous), 711180023/728760320 blocks

Message 5 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ethem13

Both disks were rebuilt and the volume was expanded successfully. Nothing to worry about anymore 🙂

The detection was when you removed the disks but then it was detected again and rebuilt.

and yes I agree with @StephenB always make sure you have full backup or current backup of your data before doing anything that involves your disks or data 🙂

HTH

Regards

Message 6 of 7
ethem13
Tutor

Thank you @Marc_V for your answer.

The first disk swap resulted in a Resync action; whereas the second disk swap resulted in a Recovery action; which was the main sign that I thought there was something to worry about.  The word 'recovery' is kind of a scary word, with pasttime experiences 🙂

Thank you again.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements