× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xraid readynas 214

paulies
Aspirant

Xraid readynas 214

Hi

Just a quick question I’m rubbing xraid with my nas I like the idea of all the drives combined but if my readynas stopped working how easy it it to get the data off the disks? Is it just a matter of putting them in another Linux machine and I can recover it??

Thanks
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Xraid readynas 214

@paulies wrote:
 Is it just a matter of putting them in another Linux machine and I can recover it??

The array can be mounted on an x86 linux system.  You do need to know how to assemble and mount the array.  OS-6 systems use mdadm (software RAID) and the BTRFS file system.  

Of course if the file system gets corrupted as a result of the failure, then recovery could be more difficult - requiring you to purchase RAID recovery software.

@paulies wrote:
but if my readynas stopped working

The best way to keep your data safe is to implement a backup plan.  RAID isn't enough.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@paulies wrote:
 Is it just a matter of putting them in another Linux machine and I can recover it??

The array can be mounted on an x86 linux system.  You do need to know how to assemble and mount the array.  OS-6 systems use mdadm (software RAID) and the BTRFS file system.  

Of course if the file system gets corrupted as a result of the failure, then recovery could be more difficult - requiring you to purchase RAID recovery software.

@paulies wrote:
but if my readynas stopped working

The best way to keep your data safe is to implement a backup plan.  RAID isn't enough.

Message 2 of 4
paulies
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, I know raid is not enough but the data I have if lost I could live with its just a pain getting it back but if its matter of connecting it to another system and been able to drag the file off files off that would be good 🙂

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@paulies wrote:

its matter of connecting it to another system and been able to drag the file off files off that would be good 🙂

It's not quite that simple - you'd need to make sure that mdadm and btrfs are installed on the other system.  Then there would be a couple of commands you'd need to enter to mount the volume.

But not that difficult if the array is not damaged by the failure.

If you have another linux system that can accept all the disks, you could easily try this.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements