× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!

p5taylor
Tutor

Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!

Dear Netgear admin / fellow Netgear users

My readynas has now for the last year been saying that the clamav is outdated (version: 0.100.2 should be : 0.103.2) and so it doesnt seem to want to automatically update the virus definitions like it use to, causing me to have to SSH in and manually run the update (freshclam -v), this is and can be a pain at times.

I would love to just update clamav to the current issue but dont really know how to. I have some basic knowledge of linux (enough to get me by) and can probabley google how to for the stuff i dont know, does anyone know of or has anyone personally made a set of step by step instruction on how to perform this that i could follow please.

Kind regards

Paul

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!

@p5taylor wrote:

so trying to log in to do a soft re-start it appears that a different password has been set (not by me)

FWIW, 6.10.5 is now released.  It seems unlikely that it would reset the admin password (esp. a couple of days after the update).

But you can do a clean shutdown by pressing the power button twice.  See page 35 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Then power up the system and see if your old admin password works.  If it doesn't then try the default password (which is password)

If those steps fail, you can also do an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  Instructions are on page 37 of the manual I linked in above.

The OS reinstall will

• reset the admin password back to password
  • reset the network configuration to use DHCP
  • turn off volume quota (which can be re-enabled via the volume settings wheel).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi p5taylor,

We do not recommend upgrading the ClamAV engine manually. ReadyNAS engineering team will be looking into the plan of upgrading it to the latest version in the future firmware release.

May I also know the current firmware version of your NAS?

If you are fine with using beta firmware, you can try the 6.10.5 Beta. It addresses the issue wherein the ClamAV fails to update the database on ARM-based NAS.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
p5taylor
Tutor

Hi John

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, the current version of my firmware is 6.10.2.

I dont really like being a guinea pig for beta version of software had some bad experience in the past, i normally like to only have long term support version but was forced to go with stable version for plex to work properly, I would install it, if it was stable.

Regards

Paul

Message 3 of 8
p5taylor
Tutor

Hi John

So i finally decided to buckle and installed the beta version everything seemed ok for a day or two then later i am unable to access any of my drives via my pc, so trying to log in to do a soft re-start it appears that a different password has been sewt (not by me) tried this new password (@newdig) no joy in getting in, so gone for a forgot password and reset password this isnt working either, so great now completely locked out, should of stuck with my intitial beliefs.

Regards Paul

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@p5taylor wrote:

so trying to log in to do a soft re-start it appears that a different password has been set (not by me)

FWIW, 6.10.5 is now released.  It seems unlikely that it would reset the admin password (esp. a couple of days after the update).

But you can do a clean shutdown by pressing the power button twice.  See page 35 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Then power up the system and see if your old admin password works.  If it doesn't then try the default password (which is password)

If those steps fail, you can also do an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  Instructions are on page 37 of the manual I linked in above.

The OS reinstall will

• reset the admin password back to password
  • reset the network configuration to use DHCP
  • turn off volume quota (which can be re-enabled via the volume settings wheel).

Message 5 of 8
p5taylor
Tutor

Hi Stephen, that was a bit wierd, but a bit of perseverance I eventually managed to get in with password, done a soft reboot all seems back to normal now, I do have plex on there and also uploaded a couple of things to the server last night so I will monitor and keep an eye on it.

Good news is it looks like my virus definitions are now up to date.

Thanks for your help.
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@p5taylor wrote:

Good news is it looks like my virus definitions are now up to date.

Great.  You should switch over to the released 6.10.5 (though maybe wait a few days).

Message 7 of 8
p5taylor
Tutor

Hi Stephen

Tonight upgraded the firmware to 6.10.5, all seems good.

regards 

Paul

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements