× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot access "data" folder from readynas web dashboard

zekzek
Aspirant

cannot access "data" folder from readynas web dashboard

Hello everyone,

I have searched through the Netgear forums and also googled but not sure what I might be doing wrong. The "data" folder houses my Plex folders. I can access these Plex folders from windows explorer but I cannot access these Plex folders from the readynas web dashboard. This is my problem that I am trying to resolve. 

I've checked the os partition and its about 30-ish %. I've run the share_lun_ui_fix.sh script in Terminal after logging in with root. This is what I've run:

curl -s https://gitlab.codycook.us/readynas-scripts/share_lun_ui_fix.sh/raw/master/share_lun_ui_fix.sh | bash

when I run it, nothing really happens. I just get this:

Screenshot 2022-03-13 232427.png

Here is what I am wondering:

1) is the "data" folder specifically hidden from the readynas web dashboard?

2) how is it that I am able to view and modify the subfolders within the "data" folder with Windows Explorer?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: cannot access "data" folder from readynas web dashboard

Can you explain more on why you need to do this?

@zekzek wrote:

Basically, yes.  On top of that, the plex files are in a hidden folder (along with the files for all the other apps). 

@zekzek wrote:

2) how is it that I am able to view and modify the subfolders within the "data" folder with Windows Explorer?

Because Netgear has chosen to allow access to the data volume when you use NAS admin credentials.  If you weren't using those credentials, then you wouldn't be able to access the volume (or .apps).

You do need to be careful when using that facility.

@zekzek wrote:

I've run the share_lun_ui_fix.sh script in Terminal after logging in with root. 

As you found, that doesn't change this behavior.  As far as Netgear is concerned, it is intentional, and not something to be changed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you explain more on why you need to do this?

@zekzek wrote:

Basically, yes.  On top of that, the plex files are in a hidden folder (along with the files for all the other apps). 

@zekzek wrote:

Because Netgear has chosen to allow access to the data volume when you use NAS admin credentials.  If you weren't using those credentials, then you wouldn't be able to access the volume (or .apps).

You do need to be careful when using that facility.

@zekzek wrote:

I've run the share_lun_ui_fix.sh script in Terminal after logging in with root. 

As you found, that doesn't change this behavior.  As far as Netgear is concerned, it is intentional, and not something to be changed.

Message 2 of 7
zekzek
Aspirant

Thank you @StephenB for helping piece this together for me. I appreciate it. 

I had originally set up my Plex folders within the "data" folder as I figured its all data and did not think that there were access restrictions on it. I do not have a problem moving the Plex folders out of the data folder knowing this.

Wondering if I can simply cut and paste the plex folders out of the data folder (and change the location in Plex) or if there might be a better or more efficient way to move the 400 GB of content?

Also, just to ensure I'm covering all bases, would it make sense to move the Plex folders into the "Home Folders" or can I just have a specific Plex folder in the root? Is there any benefit to moving to the Home Folders besides maybe granting specific access based on users?

I apologize if the questions above are not meant for this forum. 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@zekzek wrote:

I had originally set up my Plex folders within the "data" folder as I figured its all data and did not think that there were access restrictions on it. I do not have a problem moving the Plex folders out of the data folder knowing this.

400 GB is a lot of space for the database+metadata - I have a reasonable sized media library, and only have about 20 GB for that stuff.

So when you say 400 GB of content, are you talking about the media folders or the plex database+meta data? 

Is the plex media server running on the NAS?  Or is it running on a PC?

Message 4 of 7
zekzek
Aspirant

I'm not sure about your question but let me discuss my current setup. Plex is currently running on ReadyNas as an application.

This is the folder structure:

data > plex > movies

data > plex > tv shows

The "Movies" and "TV Shows" folders combined are about 400 GB total. 

The plan is to have plex media server run on a dedicated home server instead of being an app on ReadyNas. All of my access questions are essentially prep steps for the home server. 

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@zekzek wrote:

I'm not sure about your question but let me discuss my current setup. Plex is currently running on ReadyNas as an application.

This is the folder structure:

data > plex > movies

data > plex > tv shows

The "Movies" and "TV Shows" folders combined are about 400 GB total. 

The plan is to have plex media server run on a dedicated home server instead of being an app on ReadyNas. All of my access questions are essentially prep steps for the home server. 

Ok.  So this is all media (mp4, mkv, avi, etc).

Here's what you can do:

1. Create a share called Temp in the NAS web ui. 
  2. Move the movies folder and the tv shows folder into Temp.  This will take a while.
  3. After the plex folder is empty, delete it.
  4. finally, rename the Temp share to plex in the NAS web ui (use the settings wheel for the share).

This will give you a NAS share called plex, that has the same structure and files that you have now.  So the plex app should continue to work with no problems, and you will be able to access the files from the NAS admin web ui.

Note that linux (unlike Windows) is case sensitive.  So if the folder name is Plex, make sure you rename it to that in step 4.

Message 6 of 7
zekzek
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your assistance @StephenB ! I was able to move my media over to the root directory following your instructions! I am also able to access it on my home server now. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements